Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM

Default AUX suddenly doesn't receive signal anymore

I just stumbeled over an error, that cost me an hour to resolve.
I have a pretty big session going, have been working all day in it. At one point, I just opened a TLSpace on an already existing track. I didn't do any changes to routing, nor did I add or delete a track. Just opened a plugin in an insert.
All of a sudden, an AUX that is completely unrelated to the track I opened TLSpace in, stopped receiving signal from the bus it is featured from.

So I first trashed prefs and databases, didn't help. Then I went to the I/O-setup, made all ins, outs and buses inactive and active again, didn't help. Created a new bus and used that one to feed the AUX, still nothing. I was thinking about reinstalling Pro Tools, but tried making the aux inactive and active again. Well, that finally did the trick.

This is a pretty big downer in my to date cheerful opinion about PT9. Inserting a plugin shouldn't mess anything up, especially not tracks that have nothing to do with it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 12-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Default Re: AUX suddenly doesn't receive signal anymore

I had the same issue with 8.0.4 the other day with an aux send just not getting any signal for some reason, though I had not inserted any new plug-ins. It was my normal VO template and I use the aux send to buss to headphones. To fix the problem I took the Aux Send off the track then reinserted it. Never seen this before.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM

I've seen that one from time to time for several years. It's rare but it can jump up and bite you once in a great while. It was worst for me in 7.1 (WinXP). The biggest problem with it (from a tech end) is that it's not reproducible. That makes it nearly impossible to fix, unfortunately.

For me, it seems to be associated with Dverb. I've never had it happen on a session that wasn't using Dverb in it somewhere. It doesn't necessarily happen on Dverb tracks. It can be anywhere. But often, deactivating and reactivating all instances of Dverb will clear it.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-07-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I've seen that one from time to time for several years. It's rare but it can jump up and bite you once in a great while. It was worst for me in 7.1 (WinXP). The biggest problem with it (from a tech end) is that it's not reproducible. That makes it nearly impossible to fix, unfortunately.

For me, it seems to be associated with Dverb. I've never had it happen on a session that wasn't using Dverb in it somewhere. It doesn't necessarily happen on Dverb tracks. It can be anywhere. But often, deactivating and reactivating all instances of Dverb will clear it.
I indeed had one instance of Dverb in it. Interesting. Thanks for bringing that to the table.
Anyways, this is a really bad thing. Imagine you have a costumer sitting next to you, and all of a sudden the drums are gone, and you have no idea, what's going on. Not the best of impression you leave there. Thankfully I was by myself.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock