Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 AM

Default best practices for backing up: ghost?

BACKING UP

Power users and pros often advice guys like me to back up both work files and system. I've tried to search the DUC and elsewhere for a nice walkthrough, but questions remain. Is there somewhere a thread or net walkthrough already on best practices with regards to backing up a pro tools 9 system? Anyway: here are the questions that concern me personally the most at the moment.

1) I have run Norton Ghost on a laptop earlier. Starting up was very slow. Also, I tend to use external drives for backup, and disconnect these except when performing the backups. This made Ghost complain and issue warnings that I could not disable regarding backup points that are not available etc. I might have kept Ghost if I could have found a way to tell it to shut up until I call on it, but all I could do to tame it was to completely uninstall. Was it simply me, or is Ghost generally too bulky, slow, and intrusive to be helpful in an audio pc?

2) My plan is to backup my files on two (usb-connected) external drives that I do not use when working on audio. The simplest would be to allow the usb-cables to remain connected but unused in the back sockets of the pc while they are not in use. Is this okay, or will the plugged-in usb 3 or usb 2 cables slow me down even when the drives are not connected or turned off?

3) Is it possible to use Norton Ghost or some other software for ONLY creating an image now and then of my [system + sound banks] drive, and then closing down Ghost completely? I could then back up my PT session file disk contents manually.

with many thanks,

Petter
Old 09-07-2011, 04:40 AM

Default Re: best practices for backing up: ghost?

Acronis True Image

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 09-07-2011, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Ok, looks good, not expensive ... of course since I already did buy Ghost a year ago, I'm still interested in hearing if it is possible to get by using Ghost instead.

Also: on my other questions, any views?

Petter
Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM

I haven't used Ghost in years. Another thumbs up here for Acronis. If your externals are powered off they shouldn't take up any resourses.

I have installed Acronis, made backups and then uninstalled it or disabled any startup services it added using MSconfig. Normally I would only do this if I suspected some type of PT/Acronis interaction. I haven't done that in a long time either. No reason you can't do the same with Ghost

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-07-2011, 07:25 AM

+1 Acronis

It works!
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 AM

Acronis ruined my PC !

I made an image of my SSD system disk to an external HD with Acronis True image that seemed to work well but upon compltion of the disk image creation, the PC wasn't able to restart because Acronis altered the boot sector of both the system disk and the destination hard drive. None of the utilities I tried was able to reconstruct the boot sector and I was forced to reinstall Windows 7, ProTools, all my plugins and sound librairies ; in fact I'm still in the course of that complete re install of my system.

So Acronis scares me and I will not use it again !
Old 09-07-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narapo View Post
Acronis ruined my PC !

I made an image of my SSD system disk to an external HD with Acronis True image that seemed to work well but upon compltion of the disk image creation, the PC wasn't able to restart because Acronis altered the boot sector of both the system disk and the destination hard drive. None of the utilities I tried was able to reconstruct the boot sector and I was forced to reinstall Windows 7, ProTools, all my plugins and sound librairies ; in fact I'm still in the course of that complete re install of my system.

So Acronis scares me and I will not use it again !
There's an exception to everything. I have used Acronis for better than 5 years and it has never caused a problem(while I certainly have) and it has saved my ***** several times, as well as saving me days of reloading everything. Interestingly enough, I just used Acronis to clone from a 120GB laptop drive(standard 5400 rpm) to a new 60GB SSD and it went without a hitch(laptop has run fine for 2 weeks). As for SSD in a Pro Tools rig, I am still not sold on that

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
If your externals are powered off they shouldn't take up any resourses.
So keeping the usb cable plugged does not in itself eat resources? Cool that simplifies things a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I have installed Acronis, made backups and then uninstalled it or disabled any startup services it added using MSconfig. Normally I would only do this if I suspected some type of PT/Acronis interaction. I haven't done that in a long time either. No reason you can't do the same with Ghost
Ok, I'll try this first on my laptop. Run "msconfig" (I'd forgotten that option so there the fault was my own) and select ghost as one of the things that does not start automatically. Then back up the system disk when it seems stable, and configure some sort of synchronization action for the sessions drive.

Thanks, I'll report back at some point.

Petter
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narapo View Post
Acronis ruined my PC !
Pilot error.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM

Keep in mind that you are dealing with two separate issues...

1. Creating an image backup of your OS and program files disk. You only need to update this when you add new software, hardware, or something similar.

2. Creating daily/hourly/weekly/whatever backups of your sessions. Obviously these need to be backed up every time you work on a session. How often you do this is up to you. Some high-end pro studios are probably doing this on an hourly basis, while for the typical project studio an "end-of-workday" backup is probably enough.

Windows 7 has built-in tools (which is what I use) to do both of these types of backups, although they are pretty basic. Some of the guys here can probably recommend some products with more functionality (or just more bells 'n whistles)...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh