Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2014, 05:15 AM

Default Problems working from ISIS

Hello,

Had a search and couldn't find anything about this...so hopefully somebody here can help with this issue I'm having.

We are a broadcast post-faciltiy running two Pro Tools HD 11 Systems with an HDX card, HD Sync, XMON ...both on Windows 7 64bit machibes (HP Z420)

We are set up to run our sessions from a partition on our house ISIS - we are loving the workflow it allows when bringing media in from Media Composer..as well as being able to quickly open up sessions in either of our dub suites.

We are however getting some problems that we cannot figure out.

The first issue is that when running from ISIS a simple VO record session, we are experiencing a 5-9 second "hang" roughly every 30 seconds, when going into record....the systems locks up (still able to move the cursor) and then eventually drops into record. Not ideal when doing ADR and keeping clients happy!

We tested this by tapping record/stop on and off and timing these hangs...this was happening consistently every 30-ish seconds. The same session suffered similar hangs for other functions (edits, clip moves etc), not just recording...but this one was easiest to replicate.

When taking this session onto a local drive in the machine, there were absolutely no hangs and the system was also far more responsive when going into record. It was instant. So to us this proved that the problem is occurring when running from ISIS.

The confusing part is, that we experienced this in several other ISIS sessions, but others would run with no problems. A 30 minute documentary works fine with no issues, even when adding a VO record track and trying the same test as mentioned previously. So it seems to be that for some reason, some sessions suffer from this more than others.

The second issue is that our other suite is suffering from random -9171 and -9172 errors which interrupt playback and recording...again a horrible problem to have when reviewing projects with clients and recording voiceovers. We've looked into this as well but can't seem to find answers. This suite is running from the ISIS also.

Any help at all would be very much appreciated as we are pretty confused by this.

Cheers

Will
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Problems working from ISIS

Do the errors happen with a session running locally? Are you caching all the audio into RAM?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 09-02-2014, 04:03 AM

Hi Brandon,

Running a session locally there are none of these problems.

My cache size is set to "normal" and H/w Buffer is on 256 samples with dynamic plug in processing on and 256 voices.

Another issue is that auto-back up session causes a delay when working from ISIS on a larger session e.g dialogue editing several channels of location audio.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:40 AM

Hi
Did you ever manage to resolve these issues?
I am running a very similar setup with 3 HD systems running PT11.
We have to revert to working locally for VO recording and get the same freeze on each Auto Session Backup save. The advantages of working on the Isis means that we put up with these issues, but I would love to get them resolved.
I would be very grateful for any tips.
Many thanks
Jeremy
Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 PM

You have this problem even with disk enabled? How large is the cache?

And I'm just noticing the obvious mistake being made in this thread disk cache = "Normal" means that timeline/disk caching is *not* being used. it's a stupidly confusing menu. You have to set an explicit size.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:43 AM

Ah. Didn't read 'Normal' in the previous post. We have cache set to, 4 GB. There is no problem pulling audio from the Isis, it's recording on the fly and session auto backups that are the problem.