Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2009, 04:06 AM

Default Waves plugins make ProTools crash!

Every time i launch one of my Waves Renaissance plugins, the ProTools program crashes

I Have had the Waves Renaissance package for a few years, and the plugins have always worked fine.

Lately I have upgraded the plugins to Waves Essentials V6r5, my ProTools software to LE 8.0 with Music Production Toolkit, and bought a new MacBook Pro, and now the Renaissance plugins don't work at all. The license is of course on my iLok.

ProTools crashes every time I try to open a Renaissance plugin, and when I try to open an old session, where I have used Renaissance plugins, ProTools crashes on launch.

Can anyone help me to find out what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-08-2009, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Waves plugins make ProTools crash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eydfinn View Post
Every time i launch one of my Waves Renaissance plugins, the ProTools program crashes

I Have had the Waves Renaissance package for a few years, and the plugins have always worked fine.

Lately I have upgraded the plugins to Waves Essentials V6r5, my ProTools software to LE 8.0 with Music Production Toolkit, and bought a new MacBook Pro, and now the Renaissance plugins don't work at all. The license is of course on my iLok.

ProTools crashes every time I try to open a Renaissance plugin, and when I try to open an old session, where I have used Renaissance plugins, ProTools crashes on launch.

Can anyone help me to find out what is wrong?

Thanks in advance!

First, make sure that you have the LATEST installer for the waves plugs.. V6r8 I think it is... Update your PACE iLok drivers to the LATEST ones, and check your cs version or update to 8.0.1. For MAC, are you using the 8.0.3 release that is being trialed for the Snow Leopard OS?

I'm on PC, and I have friends on MAC, and Waves is working a treat for all of us.. (not that others aren't having issues).

If you do the above, and are still having a problem, List more of your system and software specifics so that folks can help you diagnose more accurately. Also, get in touch with Waves support. Those guys are fast and eager to help.

Peace!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Thank you for your help Danander! I tried the updates, but it still didn't work. So I followed your advice and contacted the Waves support.
This is the answer one of their support guys gave me:

Quote:
Please click on system preferences>international and make sure that English is on the Top of the list.

I would like you also to trash Waves' and ProTools Preferences:

Please go to: System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Preferences- please trash the DAE Preferences folder.

Please go to: System Hard-Drive>Users>Current User>Library>Preferences>Waves Preferences - please trash every file there but the Waves Plugins folder short cut (or you will have to reinstall Waves).
It did the job

All the best!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM

Beaut! And THANKS! for posting your fix. That may save someone else from a grey hair or two.

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM

I know they're tempting... But try to boycott Waves.

They are unstable, incompatible, slow to load, slow to run, horrible customer support, and worst of all... extremely overpriced!

I ditched Waves and never been happier. Pro Tools loads in seconds, and writing music seems simpler, with less plugin clutter. My world was greatly simplified.
Mac Pro Quad 2.66, 20 GB RAM;
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
RME Fireface UC, M-Audio Keystation 88es + Akai LPK25 (USB);
Old 10-10-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post
I know they're tempting... But try to boycott Waves.

They are unstable, incompatible, slow to load, slow to run, horrible customer support, and worst of all... extremely overpriced!

I ditched Waves and never been happier. Pro Tools loads in seconds, and writing music seems simpler, with less plugin clutter. My world was greatly simplified.
Well, That's a pretty biased statement if I've ever read one.

Unstabel, incompatible?... With what? I have the Mercury/Studio Classics bundle, (ie: ALL of their plugs for native) and do not have a single problem. I use PTLE 8.0.1, and the v6r8 installer for waves. As with all major things on my recording PC, I keep them updated and maintained.

Slow to load?... only the very first time after install takes any length of time at all. Maybe you have software or hardware that need a spring-cleaning?

Slow to run?... I don't even know what to say about this. It just doesn't exist for me, (or anyone else I know using Waves). Again, I'll refer to the above. Maybe you need to work on your rig.

Horrible customer support?... That's just plain wrong. ANY time I have had a question and sent it off to their support people, I have always heard back within hours, (and I'm half a world, and many hours of time zone away, so that's saying something). They have helped me solve anything that has come up, (Waves issue or not). They have gone out of there way not once but a few times to see to it I was satisfied.. (once even sending me two DVD's worth of IR's for their reverbs just so I wouldn't have to spend hours downloading them, another time working with a guy in Canada over the telephone to sort something out).

Overpriced?... Depends on your needs, and desires I reckon. Although they initially cost a bit, they have proven their value time and time again. To borrow an old term we used to use in drag racing.. "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?"

I'll ask you... Sounding good costs money, how good you wanna sound?

There are many great plugs out there, some cost less, some more.. all of them a little bit different. I find Waves to be excellent value. WUP has been a bargain for me, and TLC is priceless.

And this:
Quote:
makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Plugin clutter? You load them onto your track or you don't. YOU are doing that. and HOW exactly did having any plugin installed on your computer affect your songwriting?

Maybe you should crack a window and get some fresh air?

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post

Unstabel, incompatible?... With what? I have the Mercury/Studio Classics bundle, (ie: ALL of their plugs for native) and do not have a single problem. I use PTLE 8.0.1, and the v6r8 installer for waves. As with all major things on my recording PC, I keep them updated and maintained.

Slow to load?... only the very first time after install takes any length of time at all. Maybe you have software or hardware that need a spring-cleaning?

Slow to run?... I don't even know what to say about this. It just doesn't exist for me, (or anyone else I know using Waves). Again, I'll refer to the above. Maybe you need to work on your rig.

Horrible customer support?... That's just plain wrong. ANY time I have had a question and sent it off to their support people, I have always heard back within hours, (and I'm half a world, and many hours of time zone away, so that's saying something). They have helped me solve anything that has come up, (Waves issue or not). They have gone out of there way not once but a few times to see to it I was satisfied.. (once even sending me two DVD's worth of IR's for their reverbs just so I wouldn't have to spend hours downloading them, another time working with a guy in Canada over the telephone to sort something out).

Overpriced?... Depends on your needs, and desires I reckon. Although they initially cost a bit, they have proven their value time and time again. To borrow an old term we used to use in drag racing.. "Speed costs money, how fast you wanna go?"

There are many great plugs out there, some cost less, some more.. all of them a little bit different. I find Waves to be excellent value. WUP has been a bargain for me, and TLC is priceless.

And this:

makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. Plugin clutter? You load them onto your track or you don't. YOU are doing that. and HOW exactly did having any plugin installed on your computer affect your songwriting?

Wow, I guess we have people working for Waves here at the DUC... Aggressive endorsement, much?
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Wow, I guess we have people working for Waves here at the DUC... Aggressive endorsement, much?
Typical response too...

If you called me a fanboi... I wouldn't be offended.. I DO like the company and plugs.. However, it wasn't until after I saw what their service response was that I got the Merc/SC bundle.

Honestly, I'm sorry if you personally had a bad deal, but answer me this... If waves plugs are so bad, an their customer support so poor, how is it that they do so well?

I only speak from my experience and the experience of people I know personally. I'm sure that everyone out there has had a bad time with somebody, but until I see a whole segment of people lining up and saying the same thing, I probably aint gonna buy into it...

Peace!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
You're probably the very 1st person, in my long studio experience, who thinks my criticism of Waves is biased.

Quote:
Good for you, but who cares? That doesn't mean there's no people out there with the same problems that the OP is having.

Quote:
You're actually putting this in question? What planet are you from? I think I can speak for everyone here at the DUC, that installing Waves Gold (or anything above that) will undoubtedly make your Pro Tools startup time grow ten fold! It's a widely known fact and there are several threads with rants about how long the Waveshells take to load, compared to all other plugin bundles.

Quote:
And maybe you need to stop being a douche to everyone who doesn't have the latest bleeding edge Mac Pro. Having a more powerful rig doesn't make you, in any way, a better professional than any of us.

Quote:
Now you're just sounding like someone who gets paid by Waves to say those things...

Quote:
Overpriced?... Depends on your needs, and desires I reckon.
No, it doesn't. Even with high needs and desires, they are still obscenely overpriced plugins.

Quote:
Sounding good costs money? In the 50s it did, yes. But this is 2009, FYI.

Quote:
Plugin clutter? You load them onto your track or you don't. YOU are doing that. and HOW exactly did having any plugin installed on your computer affect your songwriting?
If there is a plugin bundle that creates DAW menu clutter, it's Waves! And that plugin menu is the most often used point-and-click menu in the whole DAW. When I have only the essential plugins, I work better. And I can bet I'm not the only one here...
Audio/MIDI Hardware:
Old 10-10-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
You're probably the very 1st person, in my long studio experience, who thinks my criticism of Waves is biased.
I doubt that.

Quote:
Good for you, but who cares? That doesn't mean there's no people out there with the same problems that the OP is having.
I could ask the same about your rant... instead I'll point out that OP solved his issue with the (immediate) assistance of Waves tech support... one of the vry same things you railed on about.

Quote:
You're actually putting this in question? What planet are you from? I think I can speak for everyone here at the DUC, that installing Waves Gold (or anything above that) will undoubtedly make your Pro Tools startup time grow ten fold! It's a widely known fact and there are several threads with rants about how long the Waveshells take to load, compared to all other plugin bundles.
Again, it doesn't happen for me. What does it do for you? Oh wait, you don't HAVE Waves on your system.

Quote:
And maybe you need to stop being a douche to everyone who doesn't have the latest bleeding edge Mac Pro. Having a more powerful rig doesn't make you, in any way, a better professional than any of us.
Uhm, I'm using a PC, XP Pro, with a Q6600 processor. My rig is (essentially) yesterdays news. Guess you missed that one by a country mile.

Quote:
Now you're just sounding like someone who gets paid by Waves to say those things...
It's be nice.. but, sadly, no.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Even with high needs and desires, they are still obscenely overpriced plugins.
Stick with T-Racks then.

Quote:
Sounding good costs money? In the 50s it did, yes. But this is 2009, FYI.
I forgot, everything is available at Wal Mart now... shame on me.

Quote:
If there is a plugin bundle that creates DAW menu clutter, it's Waves! And that plugin menu is the most often used point-and-click menu in the whole DAW. When I have only the essential plugins, I work better. And I can bet I'm not the only one here...
So, what you are saying is that since YOU had a problem, that everyone will have the same problems? THIS is what I'm trying to understand about you rinitial rant. I don't doubt that people have issues.. I had a ton of them myself with PT. However, to condem a company across the board because YOU had a few problems is silly. Are you ranting right now in other forums because of your 003 issues?

Here's the deal. You and I are going to disagree on Waves. simple as that. If you want to call me a douche and make it a personal thing then go ahead.. I won't respond to the name calling cuz frankly, it's stupid.

EDIT: In re-reading this, my statement about condeming a company because of a few personal issues leaves me a bit raw. I was pretty hard on Digi awhile back so I want to make a couple of things clear. The problems I had were being seen by a number of people, not just me. While I was unhappy with the response of Digi at times, and over-reacted a few times, I never once slammed DTS. I haven't had as much luck with Digi's CS department as I have with others, but at no time has DTS ever thrown me under a bus.

Peace!

Hobo Shave!