Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Weekly rate for sound editor in LA

Hello Everyone,
I need to give a fair non-union, low budget, L.A. weekly rate for possible sound editor gig.
I am a recent graduate with a couple of shorts and one feature on my short post production resume and this would be my first real paying job.
I am being offer the chance to work (only minutes from my home, which is great) at a post house in the LA area.
The company would like to know what I charge weekly for non-union jobs. This is a foley editing gig.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Soundmonk
Old 09-03-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Re: Weekly rate for sound editor in LA

A Union Editor would get around $27 an hour.
See here:
http://www.editorsguild.com/v2/wages.htm#
Click on “Independent Post Agreement”
Your rate as an Apprentice would be $27. an hour or $1099 a week.
Since you have very little experience you should be very flexible with your rate. It is more important to get credits than it is to get a rate. Keeping this in mind I'd say around $20 an hour.
You will probably get more out of the experience than money by learning new ways of working and also making new contacts for future work. Keep this in mind when asking for your rate.
Good Luck,
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:28 PM

Quote:
It is more important to get credits than it is to get a rate. Keeping this in mind I'd say around $20 an hour.
You will probably get more out of the experience than money by learning new ways of working and also making new contacts for future work. Keep this in mind when asking for your rate.
Good Luck,
I have begun to gather credits. This offer is based on the work I did on a feature. I was thinking to ask $1,000, so right on it!

Thanks,
Soundmonk
Old 09-03-2006, 09:01 PM

SoundMonk,
I agree with Dr.Sound you must be flexible, but remember you will spend many more hours than 40 on this job. A word to the wise, be careful about accepting a "flat" deal unless you are seriously wanting the life of a monk!