Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2007, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Intel Core2Duo ... anyone got one working yet?

im really getting frustrated. aside from the assertion errors, i get access violation errors when i try to open projects ive worked on for several hours. i tried watching CPU load as i open up my files and the ugly thing is 3 of the cores sudddenly spike to 90-100% leaving 1 core at about 10% making the CPU usage around 72-76%. ive reformated 5 times in the past week and seem to be getting nowhere. im now at a loss as to what i should do. i need to finalize my mixes soon but my new quad doesnt seem to want to cooperate.

my list of possible suspects are: my firewire card(its a generic one coz i cant seem to find anything else being sold here in the Philippines but the specs are the same as the recommended one). my video card(an ATI Radeon X 1050 GDDR2,128mb/64bit[can the 64 bit part be the prob since i think im running at 32?])and my RAM(2gb Kingston KVR800D2N5K2).

could my problems be due to the positioning of my hardware in their slots? is there a certain way i should place them in the mobo? ive got the video card in the 1st pci slot and the firewire in the 4th slot. my c drive is in the sata 1 slot.the audio drive in the sata 2 slot and the dvd rom in the sata 3 slot.

talking about the sataII drives, is there anything specific i should do with the jumper settings? i took out the little things that restrict the drives to a 1.5...i forget. should i leave them in? i remember in my old PC(the original allenstein)that the c drive had to be set as master and the audio drive as slave. is there something like this for our core 2 duo quads?

im even thinking that i could have gotten a dud mobo, CPU or HDD. is there a way i could test that?

please help guys...

BTW, ive tried doing all the tweaks on the troubleshooting thread. no dice. ive deleted the DAE prefs, Digidesign databases etc...(w/c seems ludicrous to me since they come back right after you open up PT again. whats the deal there?)

oh and i noticed a really weird thing about my keyboard and mouse. they seem to be unresponsive at times. i dont know what thats about.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 AM

You have the P5B board and I have the P5K(P35) so I don't really know much,in general, but I do have 6 internal SATA inputs on my board and in my manual it says that 4 of the SATA inputs are considered MASTER and 2 of them are considered SLAVE. I'm not running PTs yet but I have my basic DVD/CD Rom connected to one MASTER input and my DVD/CD burner on a slave and I have my OS drive connected to a MASTER and my audio drive connected to a SLAVE SATA input on the board. I did not mess with any jumpers when it came to my drives. Don't know if this helps in any way but I feel compelled to say it.

DJ

P.S. My current CPU temp is 41 C and my MoBo temp is 41 C for a few hours straight. Its early in the morning and cooler in my place so maybe thats why its a bit cooler in the box. I did read that with the Arctic Silver the temp can go down from 2 C to 5 C after 200 hours of use.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
im really getting frustrated. aside from the assertion errors, i get access violation errors when i try to open projects ive worked on for several hours. i tried watching CPU load as i open up my files and the ugly thing is 3 of the cores sudddenly spike to 90-100% leaving 1 core at about 10% making the CPU usage around 72-76%. ive reformated 5 times in the past week and seem to be getting nowhere. im now at a loss as to what i should do. i need to finalize my mixes soon but my new quad doesnt seem to want to cooperate.

my list of possible suspects are: my firewire card(its a generic one coz i cant seem to find anything else being sold here in the Philippines but the specs are the same as the recommended one). my video card(an ATI Radeon X 1050 GDDR2,128mb/64bit[can the 64 bit part be the prob since i think im running at 32?])and my RAM(2gb Kingston KVR800D2N5K2).

could my problems be due to the positioning of my hardware in their slots? is there a certain way i should place them in the mobo? ive got the video card in the 1st pci slot and the firewire in the 4th slot. my c drive is in the sata 1 slot.the audio drive in the sata 2 slot and the dvd rom in the sata 3 slot.

talking about the sataII drives, is there anything specific i should do with the jumper settings? i took out the little things that restrict the drives to a 1.5...i forget. should i leave them in? i remember in my old PC(the original allenstein)that the c drive had to be set as master and the audio drive as slave. is there something like this for our core 2 duo quads?

im even thinking that i could have gotten a dud mobo, CPU or HDD. is there a way i could test that?

please help guys...

BTW, ive tried doing all the tweaks on the troubleshooting thread. no dice. ive deleted the DAE prefs, Digidesign databases etc...(w/c seems ludicrous to me since they come back right after you open up PT again. whats the deal there?)

oh and i noticed a really weird thing about my keyboard and mouse. they seem to be unresponsive at times. i dont know what thats about.
Download and run the new "Tech Support Folder" PC Wizard will let you know if there is anything horribly skewed in your hardware.

What version of PT are you running?

Can you get us the exact error message? Assertion errors can be caused by any number of things, they are often caused by corrupt files, illegal character names ETC.

Its FAR more likely that something is wrong with the sessions themselves than a hardware malfunction.

Have you tried creating a new session and importing the data?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-12-2007, 11:50 AM

ive just reformatted again and i dont think i can get the exact error message though i remember it having the term azuki. i used my audio drive as my c drive this time(the original drive is now the audio drive) everything seems ok now but i dont want to get my hopes up too high. i followed mattp's advice somewhere in this thread about using true image. atleast now i wont have to go through reformatting over and over.i just hope this configuration holds up. i was supposed to have a recording session tom but i poastponed til im sure my system is stable enough(i hope w/in the next 2 days!)im using PT 7.3cs4. i think i read somewhere that there are compatibility issues regarding files taken from cubase(the studio where we record drums uses that)that could cause assertion errors. i know these errors are caused by corrupted file names or such but it really is beyond me. anyway, ill keep you guys posted as to whats happening to my rig. thanks to all you guys trying to help!
Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:

please help guys...

I was getting those dreaded access violation errors until I deleted all my out of date plug ins.(from SPK Guitar's advice)
Solved my problems
Make sure you are using the latest versions....worked for me
Old 08-12-2007, 02:46 PM

I wanted to ask about fans for the inside of my box. Is there a CPU heatsink and fan that is somewhat quiet that would cool my CPU down about 5 C ? Also. I went to another site and someone had mentioned putting 2 80 mm fans in the front as opposed to a single 120 mm like I have. Could I keep the 120 mm fan and just add another 80 mm fan in the front somewhere in my case? I would like to try a side fan comin out of the side duct thing first though to see if that brings down the MB temp. Thanks for the help on this.

Here is my case again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147033
Old 08-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Ok. Today is the first hot day in my apt. sinse I put the beast together and my temps are running...

CPU= 45 C
MoBo= 45 C

I think its time to go get a fan to put on the side of my Case to blow air towards the MB. Whats a good and quiet fan to do this? That plastic tube piece can come off I believe I read somewhere in one of these threads,if it needs to be taken off for any reason.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I wanted to ask about fans for the inside of my box. Is there a CPU heatsink and fan that is somewhat quiet that would cool my CPU down about 5 C ? Also. I went to another site and someone had mentioned putting 2 80 mm fans in the front as opposed to a single 120 mm like I have. Could I keep the 120 mm fan and just add another 80 mm fan in the front somewhere in my case? I would like to try a side fan comin out of the side duct thing first though to see if that brings down the MB temp. Thanks for the help on this.

Here is my case again.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147033
See www EndPCnoise for some nice quiet case fans, for 120mm and 80mm I like the Nexus line.

The Pabst are excellent for 80mm also.

There are a lot fairly quiet CPU fans/Heatsink out there. I'm running the Zalman CPNS9700 and its much quieter than the stock fan under load. Check out www.silentPCreveiw for some CPU cooler ratings.

Your temps seem fine to me.

Stick with the 120mm size fans you have in the case. The fans I mentioned are not going to lower your temps they would be quieter.

I cat tell from the side picture of your case if the side intake is capable of mounting a fan or what size it would take. what do your instructions say? the monster Zalman I mentioned is not what you would want to use with a side intake fan anyway.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 08-12-2007, 05:51 PM

I went back and reloaded the Digi plugs where they wanted to go. then I reloaded and tested all the rest of the plugs I use. Everything is great. Updated all my plugs and fixed a couple of problems I had running my old machine. Still running only one case fan but not getting above 45C on my mother board. I'll probably get another anyway.

Smoooth...smoooth...smooooooooth. Hav'in fun now.

Noticed that most of the session I ran that used around 75-80% CPU are now running around 25-30%.

regards,

John
Old 08-12-2007, 06:11 PM

What setting should I have the thresholds for the CPU and MB in Asus PC Probe? The default is 65 C for CPU and 45 C for MoBo and my puter is running at 45 C CPU and 45 C MoBo and the warning keeps coming up for my MoBo temp. Is it ok to reset the MoBo warning threshold to 65 C too? Thanks.