Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 AM

Default questionable quality of Euphonix Artist Series?

I received a MC Mix demo unit from an official Euphonix distributor. The top surface was deformed so much that it partially blocked movement of two faders. Please take a look at these pictures: http://www.chimpstudio.com/euphonix/
Have you ever encountered this kind of misshape on Euphonix artists series? Could that be overheating problem? This unit came from a distributor.... Is this how MC Mix is going to look like after a few months of use?
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 11-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Avid

Default Re: questionable quality of Euphonix Artist Series?

Definitely not - well, not that often. We've seen a couple of cases of this - is this a v1 or v2 unit (v2 units have a black jog/shuttle wheel)?

In any case, either you dealer can swap it out or, once you register, just start a support case and we'll have someone contact you for a replacement.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:25 PM

Well - it's MC Mix and I am not sure if it was V1 or V2 because it doesn't have jog wheel :)

The demo unit came from local distributor in Poland - MBS. I was actually going to buy it, as I expected a demo unit from authorized dealer to be in a decent shape. Once I saw the problem (which you can see on the pictures) I sent it back straight away. I did not even plug it in. They only said "sorry" and have never offered me any replacement, despite the fact that I told them I was very angry (in a polite way of course).

Right now I am looking for a MC Control on eBay from UK or Germany. As much as I love my country - many dealers here are completely hopeless.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 02-18-2011, 02:24 PM

We had one mix crack spontaneously while not being used.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 AM

I've been waiting 1,5 month now for my second MC Mix. Perhaps they are doing some much needed changes in the mounting process at the plant, changing the rotary encoders, reconstructing the fader caps, reducing noise on some units, change the brandname to Avid and so on... Any rumours?

A totally different issue, that is on the programming side, is how the EU-control acts after the computer has been in sleeping-mode and you start it up in the morning - very enervaiting!

There also need to be some joint power circuit/ethernet solution for 4 - 6 units on offer. (The only senseble way would have been to have it built in from the start, including an Airport solution - since that works obviously well...)
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-19-2011, 03:38 PM

Pro Tools does not support Sleep. Your installation guide says no not let the computer Sleep.

"3 Set the Computer Sleep setting to Never. 4 Set the Display Sleep setting to Never."

You could use an inexpensive Ethernet router to connect multiple units. $20

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-EBR-231.../dp/B000GVTX6U

Avid suggests turning off Airport when using PT. I would not want a controller to operate wirelessly.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park Seward View Post
Pro Tools does not support Sleep. Your installation guide says no not let the computer Sleep.
No. but I for one would like to have that optiion.

Quote:
You could use an inexpensive Ethernet router to connect multiple units. $20
I already have it setup that way, except I bought a quality router.

Quote:
Avid suggests turning off Airport when using PT. I would not want a controller to operate wirelessly.
Then you have that option already and I have the option for most cases to run it wireless via Airport Extreme and Timecapsule - works well. (When I do more exact editing i run it via the ethernet-port.) But simplicity and conviniance are keywords in the Apple philosophy and I applaud that and don't like diviation from that road taken!

I turned to this solution (over others that would have worked better for pure Pro Tools use), because of its openness to different modus operandus.

I was also very aware off the fact when I bought the unit, that the touchscreen of the Control will/could soon be outmanouvered by the iPad if the developing team of Avid/Euphonix isn't smarter, wittier and read the needs and want's of the music/video/post costumer base better then the App-store newbies???
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 AM

at the price these things run is a solid aluminum surface that does not crack or bend in order? uhhh yes it is, as well as fader caps that stay put...

times are hard for many of us, I would not spend my hard earned cash on a product like this, I am sure your profit margin is great, see how it works out for you in the long run...

good lord, a $200 gasp BEHRINGER is built better....thats just sad avid....
Old 02-23-2011, 06:19 AM

Thumbs down Re: questionable quality of Euphonix Artist Series?

Some newer production run with Avid sticker on the box are more expensive but the build quality is worse... Fader noise is killing me...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 AM

My studio is about to get one of these systems over the c24 because of multi platform usage such as nuendo, logic and pro tools...

As I have read, Im very worried due to the quality of this product, and I dont understand why Avid would let this slide???

From what i hear is its a plastic piece of junk....I hope avid listens to the masses and changes the build of these units quickly...

I wish avid would make the c24 usable with other recording software - then we would buy it....we use Nuendo and protools