Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Pro Tools Express on Mac OS X

Old 04-14-2014, 12:35 PM

Default CPU usage is holding off USB audio -6104

I am getting this error a lot while running pro tools.

I have a new Macbook Pro retina display 2.4ghz with 8gig RAM.

I have an mbox running pro tools express. I dont think my computer is having trouble running. I have to use a 3.0 USB hub to connect everything. Since there are only 2 USB ports, I put the mbox directly into the computer and then run my ilok and external hard drive off of the hub.

The hub is Ankerฎ Uspeed USB 3.0 4-Port Hub with 12V 2A Power Adapter and 3ft USB 3.0 Cable [VIA VL812 Chipset]

The hard drive is WD My Passport for Mac 1TB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0

I dont think the hard drive is 7200rpm. It might be 5400.

Please help!!!!
Old 04-15-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Re: CPU usage is holding off USB audio -6104

You probably answered your own question.

Generally, it's not recommended to use a USB drive at all

Plus you have it connected to a USB hub, also a no no

In addition it's running at 5400

You are talking about all kinds of slow at once.

You'll need a thunderbolt drive, see link below.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pple-Computers

Alternate solution, but totally not supported, I've had good luck using my internal Macbook Air drive, but it's an SSD. My older Macbook also ran sessions fine on the internal disk, but my sessions were 8-10 tracks and only a couple plug-ins
2X - 1T External HD with Mercury Elite Pro Enclosure
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
http://thefinallap.com
Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 AM

so most people run thunderbolt external hard drives to run their sessions?
Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Yes, or Firewire as in my case using a 2009 27" iMac.
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
Old 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM

Most people do not use T-bolt external drive casings as they are very expensive so that's incorrect.

We have 2 SSD drives in external USB3 casings from a MBP retina 2013 with great success here. USB3 have never been a problem, USB2 yes as the drives are too slow but nowadays with SSD's and USB3 no issues at all. Just use a thunderbolt to USB connector and you will be way better off.

Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM

Some interesting reading....

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...335?popup=true
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
Old 04-15-2014, 05:05 PM

You know that is 1 year old right? I would never use a USB2 drive today for PT11 or any audio whatsoever in pro recording and if you don't believe that or think otherwise, try and see what works and what doesn't. Maybe it works great for you, who knows..

Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebender13 View Post

Let's tighten this up a bit in case it comes up in somebody's search somewhere down the line...

There are some questions that always show up here when somebody reads something like your post. In reverse order they are:

1. & 1a. My friend told me that I need to have an external drive to run Pro Tools from. Is this true? Can't I just put another drive in one of the eight empty drive bays in my computer's case? Answer 1 - No, it does not have to be an external drive...Avid states, "Audio Drive Requirements: One or More Hard Disk Drives Dedicated for Audio Record and Playback." Not a word about "internal" or "external"...just the need for a dedicated audio drive, although most of us also keep our session files (.ptf/.ptx), MIDI files and other files associated with the session on the "audio" drive. So, the choice regarding whether to use an external drive or an internal drive is generally dictated by the computer's case. Answer 1a - It depends on what the meaning of the word "run" is, and whether or not there is a blue dress in need of a dry cleaning in the picture (just kidding about the second part ). You will notice from my previous answer that Avid requires a dedicated audio drive, that isn't used for anything else but recording (with the exceptions I previously noted). So, you would not be "running" anything off that drive. You would install Pro Tools to and run it from the same drive that contains your operating system (generally referred to as the system drive). Plugins should also be installed on the system drive. If you are not using a dedicated samples drive, all VI's content and other samples should be installed on the system drive.

2. My friend told me that my external drive needs to connect with Thunderbolt. Is this true? Can't I just use a drive that connects to my eSATA or USB3 or USB2 or Firewire? Answer - No, it does not have to be a Thunderbolt drive. Connections, in decreasing order of preference:

• eSATA - Works well.
  • Thunderbolt - Works well.
  • USB3 - Works well with USB3 drives, a small number of problems reported when using USB2 drives.
  • Firewire* - Works fairly well when using specified** Firewire chips, some problems have been reported when also using a Firewire audio interface. Works poorly when not using a specified Firewire chip.
  • USB2* - Usually works fairly well with a 7200 RPM drive, but most of the "pre-packaged" USB2 boxes only have 5400 RPM drives.
*At one point Firewire was recommended for Macs, while USB2 was recommended for Windows 7 machines.

**You should always consult Avid's System Requirements before buying...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Most people do not use T-bolt external drive casings as they are very expensive so that's incorrect.

We have 2 SSD drives in external USB3 casings from a MBP retina 2013 with great success here. USB3 have never been a problem, USB2 yes as the drives are too slow but nowadays with SSD's and USB3 no issues at all. Just use a thunderbolt to USB connector and you will be way better off.

Best Regards
Christopher
Have a recommendation for a thunderbolt to USB connector? Also my harddrive should be ok even though I think it's 5400 rpm?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebender13 View Post
Have a recommendation for a thunderbolt to USB connector? Also my harddrive should be ok even though I think it's 5400 rpm?
Wow Do I feel like an idiot

I was thinking there was Tbolt to USB but we have hubs and also Tbolt to FW so I messed that one up.. Sorry mate.

Regarding your 5400rpm drive, I think I have said several times now here on the forum and so have others aswell as Avid -that it WILL cause issues and stops, errors, clicks, pops, sudden 6101, 6104, 9173 rrors etc

If you are gonna take this seriously, Get atleast 7200rpm USB3 and hook it up to the USB3 hub you got (we have a USB3 Hub with power and works GREAT)

or SSD drives and if you don't want to listen, then thats OK too but expect to be here a LONG time trying to get stuff working

I said my pice now and it is up to you to listen or not to listen

With that a 5400 rpm external drive for recording is TOO SLOW!!
Trust us here who knows please.

Best of Luck
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————