Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-25-2007, 12:19 PM

Default Call for help - Anyone been to Northern Africa???

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for ambiences from Northern Africa. Literally all across the continent, pick a country. Specifically desert, nomadic camps, and small villages. Its for a documentary....I've dug through the standard libraries, Sonomic, etc...but thought I would post here to see if anyone has any of their own. Or if you know of any sources I should check. Most of what I have is sub-Saharan and jungle stuff which doesn't help. This project has a very tight turnaround, so no time for me to take a trip out there

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Call for help - Anyone been to Northern Africa???

I´ve been to the desert in Dubai. I can asure you: In the sand desert there is nothing to record. If there´s no wind you will hear absolutely NOTHING.
If there is wind the only thing you will hear are the thing the wind will move. Most likely this will be your t-shirt, pants, jacket, the mic-stand or the whistle of the gaps inside the rycote basket or the wind whisteling through the cable loops on your headphones.

Pick a nice wind from the "Blow Tools" library and you´re done with desert. ;-)

frank.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:30 AM

I have been to Northern Africa and all throughout the Middle East, and I can't imagine what sounds you would need.

As the previous poster said, wind is wind.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 07-26-2007, 07:27 AM

Thats exactly what I was hoping someone would tell me....so far I've been using Wind A, Wind B, and Wind C. Seems to be working.

Thanks for the help!

Will
Old 07-30-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for ambiences from Northern Africa. Literally all across the continent, pick a country. Specifically desert, nomadic camps, and small villages. Its for a documentary....I've dug through the standard libraries, Sonomic, etc...but thought I would post here to see if anyone has any of their own. Or if you know of any sources I should check. Most of what I have is sub-Saharan and jungle stuff which doesn't help. This project has a very tight turnaround, so no time for me to take a trip out there

Thanks in advance!
As for wind, clothes rustling and the faint movement of sand in a drift that is very true, there really isn't much else in the vast openness. There are nomads (singing badly) in small pockets with their live stock. small villages, insects and so forth. I've heard these around in the Emirates and in Yemen.

I guess it really depends on the scenario of which you're editing.

Lee

www.leegrainge.com