Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Default 11R and Apollo Twin USB

I am getting confused by terms and technical names. I want to verify that my thinking is correct. Does anyone here know the scoop?

The back of an Apollo Twin has a 1-cable Optical hookup on the back of it that they are calling SPDIF. My 11R obviously has the 2-cable in/out SPDIF hookups. I am assuming that these two things are totally different, and that there is no magical 2-1 SPDIF cable that will allow me to connect an 11R to the Apollo Twin USB via SPDIF.

On this UAD page, http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo-twin-usb.html
under the FAQ, there is the following blurbage that is the root of my confusion:
"It also features an Optical input, adding 8 digital channels of ADAT or two channels of S/PDIF." (the last sentence of I/O types)

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:59 PM

Default Re: 11R and Apollo Twin USB

S/PDIF is a digital protocol for stereo audio signals. That protocol can be carried on RCA coaxial cables (as used on the Eleven Rack), on TOSLINK optical cables (as used on the Apollo Twin interface), and other more rarely used physical connections.

TOSLINK is frequently used to carry ADAT or S/PDIF, an TOSLINK interface may support one or the other protocols or allow you to select ADAT or S/PDIF protocol (like on the Apollo Twin). When UAD says "optical" they mean TOSLINK, there are other less frequently used optical standards as well.

Similarly coaxial cables can be used to carry protocols like Dolby Digital or DTS, neither or which are S/PDIF. And AES/EBU (also on the Eleven Rack) is very closely related to S/PDIF but usually carried on XLR cables.

it is technically easy to convert between S/PDIF on TOSLINK and S/PDIF on coaxial and many low-cost converters are available. e.g. http://www.amazon.com/C2G-40018-Coax.../dp/B0002J2MV4

Always pay attention to the direction of these type of converters. That one linked to goes from S/PDIF on Coax to S/PDIF on TOSLINK (Edit: I just corrected my typo on the direction). So will go from the S/PDIF out on the Eleven rack to S/PDIF in on the Apollo Twin.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-30-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Thank you very much for your response and for the link.

It looks like that's the last of my technical obstacles for that option.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:41 PM

Just a follow up. I got the Apollo Twin and, subsequently, the adapter Darryl pointed me to. That, too, works like a charm. It's awfully nice when things simply work.

Speaking of working, aside from one strange issue*, this whole interface switch has been a grand-slam. No crashes, clean audio, etc. Wow!!! I had know idea how bad my mBox3 was treating me. No idea at all.

(*issue - softube plugs not working on Aux tracks on 96K sessions unless using the multi-mono type. Very strange. )
Old 05-13-2016, 08:24 PM

One more little twist or update.

My 11R is tracking just fine and dandy through the TOS link cable. I've still for the 11R hooked up via USB so that I can use the stand alone editor. I suspect that is a problem as PT12.5 is now seeing Eleven Rack #1 and #2 on start up. I think PT and/or Win-10 is somehow seeing the second signal as another 11R and we all know how the mere suggestion of another 11R can gum up the works.

Still doing well other than the Softube tissue I mentioned earlier.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotsBiker View Post
One more little twist or update.

My 11R is tracking just fine and dandy through the TOS link cable. I've still for the 11R hooked up via USB so that I can use the stand alone editor. I suspect that is a problem as PT12.5 is now seeing Eleven Rack #1 and #2 on start up. I think PT and/or Win-10 is somehow seeing the second signal as another 11R and we all know how the mere suggestion of another 11R can gum up the works.

Still doing well other than the Softube tissue I mentioned earlier.
You get to listen to Benoni... https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=d802nCX_s3Y

Old 05-14-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post

Thanks! Wouldn't be the first time.

I've been blasting away ghosts in Device Manager based on a Sound on Sound article I found while hunting the issue down from something like 10 years ago. Yesterday morning was the first time I still had 11R #2 show up on startup. That's why I was blaming the TOS line. Still might be an issue.

There is one thing Benoni did in the video I have not been doing. He's clearing any lingering ghosts in Device manager after uninstalling the drivers. I did not do that yesterday and do not specifically remember ever doing so. Makes since and will do this before starting it up the next time.

For anyone looking on using an earlier version of Windows and not seeing any ghosts whatsoever, there is a command line to run that will allow you do see the hidden devices(ghosts) until rebooting. Just so you're not taking command line entries from some unknown dude online.....
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar0...pcmusician.htm
About 2/3rds the way down.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:55 AM

3-hours is what it took me to straighten my machine's devices out. I'm convinced now that I blasted away a ghost I should not have blasted. I ended up having to re-install the Apollo driver. I also did what I could to clear up my MIDI keyboard drivers.

The system and session wavecache files are also a common blast away item when cleaning up a mess. I had a AAE or DAE 6 error for the first time since getting the Apollo. Clearing out the wavecache files is a first-line defense for me when getting those. I forgot to do this and ended up with one yesterday. None since deleting wavecache files and restarting.

The fact that this is an issue is really pathetic. I mean, there is a property available...see hidden devices in Device Manager. These libraries and objects and their properties are not hidden away for exclusive use by m-soft. Just sayin'.....

Once up and running, this thing is fairly solid. I still have a few issues. I may not be able to play in 96K-land anymore. It's reaching my machine's weakest link too soon, even at 1024. I'm also having crashes when using Softube multi-channel plugs on Aux tracks. It was running like a scalded dog at 48K. I'll either roll-back to PT12-4, change session work-flow or switch to another DAW if the pending 12-5 update does little to help.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:57 PM

One quick update. I reverted PT back to 12.4. The stuttering has stopped and the issue with Softube crashing the machine on aux tracks running 96K has gone.