Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Assing a midi CC to a fader

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
It's not a major a flaw. The OP needs to RTFM. Read up on master faders, busses and auxes.
Why is this not a major flaw? From a user standpoint compared to Logic (which OP states he is coming from) i would say it is.
Logic allows you to very easily assign any midi controller to do what you wish on screen. PT doesn't. Digi expect to fleece you for 10 - 70k just to have more than 8 faders... that's assuming the user wants a mixing desk style controller! It's good business sense for them yes, but a PITA for us.
What precisely will he gain from "RTFM" in this instance?
Dick

P.S. People are also either assuming English is his first language or being horribly patronising... wtf is wrong with you people.. all he did was ask a simple question..jeez
Intel 2700k 3.8ghz
16GB Crucial Ram
Old 03-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Sorry - I just saw this thread.

Pro Tools will respond to a CC controller on Midi Channels 15 and 16. Use CC's 1-16 on each channel under the Peavey PC1600 control personality. This controller worked up until 8.01, and the fixed it again to work with 8.03 CS1.

CC 1-8 affect Fader level and CC 9-16 affect pan controls.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:49 AM

I like my Alphatrack. Being motorized means the fader can track changes you've written, and the fader cap is touch sensitive so it drops into record when you grab it and allows you to overwrite changes. You can assign it to any channel fader including the master. Plus it has a horizontal touch strip you can use for scrub editing, which is really good for editing speech (strangely not quite so good for music...)

But if you're not bothered about writing automation you can get a MIDI keyboard with faders on it (I use the M-audio Axiom 61) to control stuff. I remember it being a bit of a struggle but it can be done.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Assigning a midi CC to a fader

This is extremely annoying. I don't want to spend hours learning what Command8, HUI, SurroundPanner, M-Audio Keyboard are and helplessly see if my MIDI controller is compatible with one. Of course most manuals aren't go to mention this. I just want to quickly MIDI learn something. Pro Tools is archaic. Why does it have to be so user unfriendly and consume everyone's time to do such simple tasks? I've taken multiple Pro Tools classes and nothing is mentioned about this. So frustrating.

Last edited by Alexlimbert; 10-01-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexlimbert View Post
This is extremely annoying. I don't want to spend hours learning what Command8, HUI, SurroundPanner, M-Audio Keyboard are and helplessly see if my MIDI controller is compatible with one. Of course most manuals aren't go to mention this. I just want to quickly MIDI learn something. Pro Tools is archaic. Why does it have to be so user unfriendly and consume everyone's time to do such simple tasks? I've taken multiple Pro Tools classes and nothing is mentioned about this. So frustrating.
I don't understand you second sentence. Are you saying you want to use your unnamed MIDI controller to control one of those? What MIDI controller do you have and what exactly do you want it to do in PT? PT really doesn't work with MIDI controllers as such; IOW PT won't understand when your controller sends out a MIDI CC7 (volume) that you want to control a channel fader. That kind of MIDI control doesn't exist in PT - you can't teach a fader to do that.

QAPLA!
Old 10-01-2017, 06:55 PM

I have two control surfaces, AKAI MPD218 and Samson Conspiracy. At this point, I'd be happy if I could just control a mute button.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexlimbert View Post
I have two control surfaces, AKAI MPD218 and Samson Conspiracy. At this point, I'd be happy if I could just control a mute button.
Won't work in PT because as I said PT doesn't communicate via MIDI for the most part. Have you tried to set up the two controllers inside PT preferences? You have to tell PT what controllers you have, etc. The basics should be in the manual.

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 AM

Grab a copy of MIDI monitor (free) and figure out what CC messages your controller is spitting out. Then, you can either reprogram your controller to emulate HUI, or if that's not possible use a program like Bome's midi translator (costs $, but has a time limited demo) to remap the CC outputs.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-02-2017, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Grab a copy of MIDI monitor (free) and figure out what CC messages your controller is spitting out. Then, you can either reprogram your controller to emulate HUI, or if that's not possible use a program like Bome's midi translator (costs $, but has a time limited demo) to remap the CC outputs.
Thanks for the heads-up about Bomes as it looks like it can help me to get my Motif7 keyboard to actually do some work with PT other than to enter notes

QAPLA!
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM

Thank you for the explanation. Seems like a lot of work and more potential interfacing issues. Any chance Pro Tools could get more user friendly than less user friendly? I heard that older versions actually had MIDI learn.