Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 05:30 PM

Default Re: What is the control room knob used for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelwenz View Post
Im still wondering what this knob is used for, I have a crappy keyboard that can make my volume up or down. Cant Avid make the knob do the same via keystroke emulation or something.
You're being too reasonable and asking for a solution that makes broader sense such as, say, a knob that maps to a master fader or something. Avid's software engineers, on the other hand, thought they'd control the Studio Monitor Express application (which no longer works on e.g. Mac OSX 10.8). I see that knob as a "do-nothing". It's of more use if you label it DFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmichaelwenz View Post
I am beginning to think Avid is a failure and failing horribly on there super expensive highly advertised surfaces.
You and so many other people..
Old 09-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by eesn View Post
You're being too reasonable and asking for a solution that makes broader sense such as, say, a knob that maps to a master fader or something. Avid's software engineers, on the other hand, thought they'd control the Studio Monitor Express application (which no longer works on e.g. Mac OSX 10.8). I see that knob as a "do-nothing". It's of more use if you label it DFA.

You and so many other people..
The control room/monitor knob is a convention from the Euphonix EUCON days and was designed to control Apogee's Maestro and the monitor section in Cubase and Nuendo. It was also a control for Studio Monitor Express and Studio Monitor Pro. SMP is a PC application and is still supported. Apple made changes in their OS which renders SME inoperable. SME is a free application, used by a very small number of users. It would take so much work on our part and extensive work with Apple to get this working, and the effort is non-trivial. This is a great example of the types of decisions we need to make in prioritizing work. I'd rather dig into the Artist Fix List issues as soon as possible and hopefully knock as many as possible off in 3.0.1 and the next release this year, but I'm willing to negotiate.

JC
Old 09-25-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
I think John has a virtually impossible task to please all the users of EUCon/Artist. Speaking purely and selfishly for myself, I'm interested in the various little bugs, niggles & gotcha's that affect operation with Pro Tools (specifically Pro Tools 11 PC) being sorted eg. Fader banking, control mapping, panner etc. I arguably don't care whether Artist works with any other application. Similarly I now have a hardware controller with talkback facility that makes the Artist Control monitor facility redundant.

I've stated before that I think a plug-in based solution for the monitor section would be a better solution for Pro Tools at least - do I think that should take priority over other functionality fixes - no. For me basic & consistent cross platform functionality for Pro Tools (an Avid product) is more important.

We will all have our own agenda and priorities when it comes to fixes & functionality enhancements, so I'm aware mine won't match anyone else's Good luck John!
Actually I agree 100%. I think the list of Artist Fixes has a lot of stuff on it, and I would prioritize most of it over a control room knob.

That isn't to say I wouldn't like one in the future, but I consider that a much lower ranked issue.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:03 AM

Control room knob works great in Cubase and Nuendo, but they have a separate monitor section which is also great for setting up cue feeds and studio monitor feeds and talkback, which has an onscreen button that also maps to the touchscreen on the Artist control.
It would be a great facility for Avid to consider adding to Pro Tools.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:49 AM

So I can rock a pro tools session and have my monitors cranked up but attenuated with the control room knob. Pop over to youtube to see what my client is trying to show me and blow my speakers! AHH. Cant I use Studio Monitor Express to control all windows volume? Call it "Studio Monitor Depressed" I do...

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 10-30-2013, 09:38 AM

Solution! Make it a system volume control for windows! I bet this will make 99% of users happy if it was available.

www.WenzMastering.com
Old 10-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdarbyshirebryant View Post
The only way that's going to happen is if SME emulated a Windows Audio Device as well as ASIO....sort of how it used to work in Apple land...but I think the fact that it now doesn't and will require significant engineering to make it work again points out the difficulties of audio device emulation.
ASIO4All does this. It converts windows audio devices into ASIO devices.

Still needs SME for CR knob though.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:04 PM
Avid

The control room knob was around long before Avid took over. At that time Steinberg apps where the king of Eucon apps both Cubase and Nuendo include a Studio section where you can configure your CR feeds, monitor feeds, Solo feeds erc etc.

This meant CR was built right into the apps.

The real general issue is that not all surface features map to every software application uniformly. It depends on the feature set if the applications and which of those they expose to the Eucon adapter.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM

I tried on my Mac for like an hour to get the control room knob to work on ableton and with the mac volume just with the last eucon update. I had zero success. I am moving to mac I think almost permanently. I am on Mavericks. I am so so confused. I watched the only YouTube Video explaining how to do the setup and no bueno.

I have spent so much time trying to get the knob to work on mac and on PC. Does anyone out there have it working for all sound on Mac? I feel stupid after spending so much time on something and having ZERO success. I am a computer person even! AHHH

Anyone get the knob to work on mac ever?

www.WenzMastering.com