Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:21 AM

Default Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

I still say the coolest is the Moog...$
Old 11-07-2009, 04:24 AM

texasdave cracked the code of my Yamaha MFC10 and I'm on my way to having the control over my effects I wanted without having to become a serious tap dancer. TD amazed me at how simple the steps were compared to how the manual addressed them.

Working on it last night with headphones on gave me another reminder of just how good this box works and sounds. I've got to take one of my vacation weeks soon and try to record.

Thanks again to all who offered their assistance and experience.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout-hearted View Post
texasdave cracked the code of my Yamaha MFC10 and I'm on my way to having the control over my effects I wanted without having to become a serious tap dancer. TD amazed me at how simple the steps were compared to how the manual addressed them.

Working on it last night with headphones on gave me another reminder of just how good this box works and sounds. I've got to take one of my vacation weeks soon and try to record.

I love this thing in the cans....I feel its actually tightened my rhythm playing up to where it hasn't been in years. Or maybe its been there and I just haven't been hearing it. It'll make you grin

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stout-hearted View Post

Awesome! and same realizations here with cans!
Old 11-29-2009, 06:52 AM

hi there
choosing the right midi controller is a tricky thing. I've tested rocktron's midi mate and it doesn't work properly when you use the controller mode. let's say you want button 5 to be your distortion on/off function. with rocktron this is a global function (which is a good idea) but when you switch presets, the new screen shows a weird mix of the previous and the current preset. some words such as "gain" or "pres" are changed into fantasy words. i have no idea which device is the "culprit," though i think it may also be a bug in rack eleven. additionally the selected amp type changes on the screen (though not acoustically). if you don't look at the screen and you ignore the illegible/wrong information, you're fine as the sound is not affected.
i've played a digitech artist gsp 2101 for a long time now and when you think about it you have to admit that it was perfectly programmed with many features (cc functions) the majority of modern gear is still lacking. can anyone tell me which midi controller works with eleven rack (including controller functions)? thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
hi there
choosing the right midi controller is a tricky thing. I've tested rocktron's midi mate and it doesn't work properly when you use the controller mode. let's say you want button 5 to be your distortion on/off function. with rocktron this is a global function (which is a good idea) but when you switch presets, the new screen shows a weird mix of the previous and the current preset. some words such as "gain" or "pres" are changed into fantasy words. i have no idea which device is the "culprit," though i think it may also be a bug in rack eleven. additionally the selected amp type changes on the screen (though not acoustically). if you don't look at the screen and you ignore the illegible/wrong information, you're fine as the sound is not affected.
i've played a digitech artist gsp 2101 for a long time now and when you think about it you have to admit that it was perfectly programmed with many features (cc functions) the majority of modern gear is still lacking. can anyone tell me which midi controller works with eleven rack (including controller functions)? thanks
AHHH..I just ordered the midi mate online.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joz View Post
AHHH..I just ordered the midi mate online.
well, joz. had a talk with my retailer and he contacted digidesign germany. i hope the message is passed on. it's a bug in eleven rack as other eleven racks do the same. my hope is that digidesign will find the bug as only the screen display is affected. digidesign recommends the voodoo lab midi controller (in europe it costs about 460.- euros, which is half the eleven rack!!!). but we have no guarantee that this controller works properly with cc functions. so thumbs up!
Old 12-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerpicker View Post
well, joz. had a talk with my retailer and he contacted digidesign germany. i hope the message is passed on. it's a bug in eleven rack as other eleven racks do the same. my hope is that digidesign will find the bug as only the screen display is affected. digidesign recommends the voodoo lab midi controller (in europe it costs about 460.- euros, which is half the eleven rack!!!). but we have no guarantee that this controller works properly with cc functions. so thumbs up!
There's a new firmware update for Eleven Rack, have you tried it yet? did they fix the problem?
I had a ground control pro that I thought I wasn't gonna use again so I sold it!!
By The way, I used the GCP for about a year, touring and playing a couple days a week. The controller's switches kept coming apart and had to keep re-screwing them back in, and the most used ones wouldn't always work, you had to press on them a couple times till they worked. I was using it with their switcher which is very compatible with the GCP. So I thought, if I'm gonna have a controller that's gonna keep breaking might as well get one that is cheaper like the midi mate.

Joz
Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 PM

The MidiMate works fine - I used my old one (which lives on my big pedalboard normally) for the original video shoots, the next batch of which will be up at some point over the next couple of months.

By the way, the original version of the MidiMate firmware allowed you to use all ten buttons as CC's, as opposed to the newer behavior, where 5 are patch change and 5 are CC. I use the older version on my old MidiMate, so I can control 10 CC's at once.

If you already own or are getting a MidiMate, I got an email a few weeks ago from a nice fellow over at Rocktron letting me know that they had the old version EPROM's back in stock, so I'm sure you can order one from them at a nominal fee.

By the way, you can also set the MidiMate (or the GC Pro) up so that it sends On/Off messages at the same time it sends a patch change. The cool thing about that kind of behavior is that the pedal and the Rack will always be in the same state.

Also, I just finished six weeks of touring here in the States for Eleven Rack events using my Ground Control Pro and a pair of expression pedals. Worked like a freaking champ.

Hope that helps...

S..

Scofield...
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM

Question Re: Best foot controller for use with Eleven Rack?

Hi Sean,

I just bought an Eleven Rack from Sweetwater along with a Voodoo Lab GCP. Sweetwater programmed 61 presets into the ABC bank while the Digi presets are all in the abc bank, for a total of 165 presets. However, when I connect and initialize all these presets don't program the GCP and I cannot figure out how to have them addressed by it. In addition, I don't know how to create a new preset on the ER and save it to the GCP. The literature is lacking in this area from both Voodoo Lab and Digi. Can you please help?

Btw, your videos are really great and went a long way in my choosing to go the Eleven Rack route. I first heard about it thru Guitar Player magazine. It is a really slick product and I look forward to really learning how to use it both in my burgeoning new home studio and in live sessions. I'm new to MIDI, rack mounted processors and ProTools, although I have been playing guitar for 38 years.

Thanks for assisting a newbie!
Mark