Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-17-2003, 02:18 PM

Default OT: Wireless Lavalier Systems

I'm trying to pick out a Wireless Lavalier mic system for a school to use for plays and similar events. They want between 4-5 lavalier mics.
Does anyone have any recommendations.
Anyone have any experience with one of the Shure TwinPro Presenter Systems?

The mixing position is close to the stage, so I'm not worried about range.
I am a little concerned about interference. How do I figure out how many of these receivers I can have running simultaneously?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:15 PM

Default Re: OT: Wireless Lavalier Systems

It depends on your budget, other frequencies in your area and how many idiots come in with their phones on.

We just did Les Mis at our school ( I am the sound designer) and had 7 of the Top of the Line ULX S4 Mics (UHF) and two of the lower models (VHF).

UHF has less interference and multiple channels to chose from so enables you to find a band that is clear from interference. They also don't seem to be as affected by phones/pagers.

I was getting quite a bit of interference from the two cheaper models (VHF), so we bought two more of the more expensive kind and the problems went away.

We had 9 running with very few problems. They are very nice mics. Be sure with costumes, you have a good place where they can be securely clipped on in the right place. As with all lappelles, It is SOOOO important to have them sitting securely in the sweet spot.

This "spot" can be different for each person. A little experimenting will reveal where it sounds the best. It helps to use EQ on each mic, and it is very beneficial to be able to insert a compressor on them as well.
2xMacPro 2.66,002r,OSX 10.4.10,PT 7.4cs8
3xVisionDaw,NI Komplete,Yamaha 01V/96
Old 11-17-2003, 11:56 PM

UHF all the way, don't waste a penny on VHF, the first taxi, fire truck police car that comes within a block will be broadcasting through your sound system.

Shure offeres systems with over 100 available RF channels, as does sennheiser, that are quite good. Both will help you with selection and frequency issues.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:37 AM

When looking for lavs you also should consider the cost of maintaining aka. what type of batteries do they take and how long will a set of AA batteries last compared to how long with a 9volt batterie last. Just take the cost of batteries divided by the number of hours of gaurenteed use.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:30 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now I think I am armed with enough info to make a smarter decision. I love spending other people's money, but I want to do it right the first time. haha.

Thanks again