Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2011, 07:42 PM

Default My Eleven Rack came with PT LE 8

I just purchased Eleven Rack and it came with PT LE 8. Sales guy said that I'm eligible for a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10. I've looked on the Digidesign website for such info, but all I found was a cross-grade price of $499.

Should I return my Eleven Rack and get it from someplace else? I don't want to spend another $499 just because my Eleven Rack came with out-dated software.

What retailers sell the Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 9 software?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Location: Current: Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Hails from: San Francisco
Default Re: My Eleven Rack came with PT LE 8

if it came with PT8 you are not eligible for the free upgrade to PT10.

Return it, and order it from someone that guarantees that it will ship with PT9.

For instance,

Sweetwater
http://www.sweetwater.com/
RME Fireface 800
Eleven Rack
Old 12-01-2011, 09:59 PM

WOW! Really?!

I may not be able to return this, since I opened the software already.
Plus, being a good and honest consumer, I registered the product already.

The sales guy based his info on what Digi's page says for Eleven:

"You’re eligible to receive a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10 if you purchased and registered this product on or after October 1, 2011 (register your purchase). If you qualify, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to get your free upgrade."

I registered and have yet to receive and email. But, upon doing some further digging into the Digi website, I found a small blurb about LE 8 not being eligible for a free upgrade. I guess I am screwed!!

These are very SLIMEY BUSINESS TACTICS...both from the music store and Digidesign!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Tell them you were mislead by the sales guy and you want to return it because it is not upgradable to PT10. If they tell you they can't take it back because you opened the software then tell them fine, then make good on the PT10 upgrade for it that the salesman told you it qualified for! Of course it would be good if you had the name of that salesman! If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase it from? You also have the option of disputing it with your credit card company. You'll need to convince the CCC that you didn't get the product you ordered! Oh jeeze you registered the software too, that is going to make it more difficult. However, you need to state to both the CCC and the seller that had you been given accurate information in the first place you never would have purchased the product from them! Good luck! Let us know the result! Keep going up the chain of command at the seller's organization until you're given the ok to return it for a refund!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeTee View Post
WOW! Really?!

"You’re eligible to receive a free upgrade to Pro Tools 10 if you purchased and registered this product on or after October 1, 2011 (register your purchase). If you qualify, you’ll receive an email with instructions on how to get your free upgrade."

I registered and have yet to receive and email. But, upon doing some further digging into the Digi website, I found a small blurb about LE 8 not being eligible for a free upgrade. I guess I am screwed!!

These are very SLIMEY BUSINESS TACTICS...both from the music store and Digidesign!
It's not digidesign's fault that you got an old package.
If your seller advertised the expansion pack and PT9 and it is missing that is the fault of the seller, not Avid.
And how are you supposed to know without opening it?
If they are a reputable business they will make it right.
It's probably just a mistake out of ignorance, anyway.

I had exactly the same situation, including registering the product and contacting Avid with my problem (which they told me, correctly, was my problem).
GC has a 30 day return policy and they took the unit back and I ordered a new one from Sweetwater.

The new ones are shipping with Pro Tools 10 licenses on an included ilock (!).

If you want, you can give whoever you purchased it from the opportunity to make it right.
Otherwise, Sweetwater ships the eleven rack with updated firmware and a set of custom presets.
Plus they are experts on Pro Tools, you're going to need that!
I've been impressed so far with their great customer service.

Bill
Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 PM

I paid cash.
Looks like I'm screwed.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:44 PM

Yikes.
Who did you buy it from?
Do you have a receipt?
Do they have a return policy?

Bill
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Looks like you need to return to the store and see if you can get them to take it back or replace it with the updated version of the package! Unfortunately, lesson learned! Once they have your money your bargaining power goes pretty much down to zero! Talk to the store manager etc... who knows, maybe they'll cut you a break! Do you have that salesman's name? Good to say his name when you're relaying the story to them!
Old 12-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeTee View Post
WOW! Really?!

Yeah the only official statement I have seen about getting PT10 for free with a bundle is:

Quote:
Q: If I just purchased Pro Tools 9 software or a system that came with Pro Tools 9, do I get a complimentary upgrade to Pro Tools 10 too?

A: Yes, it's possible. If you purchased a Pro Tools 9 product or upgrade within the time period stated below, you're eligible to receive a complimentary software upgrade:

You purchased and registered new Pro Tools 9 software (full version) or a product bundled with Pro Tools 9, including the Mbox family or Eleven Rack, on or after October 1, 2011

You purchased and registered a Pro Tools 9 upgrade or crossgrade on or between October 1–20, 2011

If you're eligible and registered your purchase, you'll receive an email with instructions to activate and download your complimentary copy of Pro Tools 10 software. However, if you purchased a product that included Pro Tools LE, you are not eligible to receive a complimentary Pro Tools 10 crossgrade
http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=419131
Your best bet is to return the unit. However if you have already registered it then that may not be possible. If the saleperson told you that PT10 and the ERXP were included then just ask them to give you authorization cards for both PT10 crossgrade from LE8 and for the ERXP.

If they will not let you return it nor give you the access cards needed (plus an iLok) then you are out of luck. However its not a total loss, there are several people still running on PT LE8 and several staying on PT9. Your 11R will work just fine with PT8 LE.

I at least hope you didnt have to pay full retail price ($899) for the old bundle with PT LE 8.

Sweetwater was selling the new bundle with PT10 and the ERXP included for $749 last weekend, its back to $899 now.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 12-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Thumbs down Re: My Eleven Rack came with PT LE 8

Store isn't accepting returns since I registered the product.

So, anybody want to buy a brand new Eleven Rack from me for cheap? I'd be willing to cut my losses short since the upgrade from LE 8 to 10 is $500.