Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 AM

Default Re: How did today's Avid business news affect the Eleven Rack, if at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
i was wondering the same thing.

The 11R is part of the current I/O, so even though the 11R would be considered "consumer", it looks like Avid will keep producing them, or at least supporting them for a while.

I'm just wondering what does this mean in terms of commitment to the guitar department in Avid. Will they just let it die and only focus on high-end pro gear for use in post facilities?

I do not know. I hope they do not close down the guitar wing to focus solely on the HD line of interfaces. The 11R is a pro piece of gear at least if you compare it to owning a real amp. Sure the pre and clock are not of the highest quality, but they get the job done.

I love this little orange box, but if Avid has chose to do away with the guitar division, looks like I'll have to check out other hardware options, playing through plugins never has the same feel, though they can sound amazing. Of course I'll stick with PT for my DAW however.

For now though it looks as if things for the 11R are pretty much the same, time will tell. Winter NAMM may be interesting.
Words of Wisdom Benoni !
Old 07-03-2012, 04:48 AM

Default Re: How did today's Avid business news affect the Eleven Rack, if at all?

Personally I think the Eleven Rack is Toast.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 AM

I don't think a change of ownership necessarily is bad for Eleven owners.
A smaller company would probably rate it higher in their product line, thus set more resources for development.
If it stays with Avid, I believe a expansion pack 2 and/or a stand alone editor will be locked to buying PT 11 for a price with none or very small discount from ordinary price.
Avid have for a long time now showed that the Eleven is just a mean to steer people into the PT road... That's where their priorities lies.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:36 AM

Wink Re: How did today's Avid business news affect the Eleven Rack, if at all?

Avid retaining the Eleven Rack or Avid selling it - either scenario is fine with me. It's a great tool, worth every penny I paid for it and nothing Avid does changes it's value to me.

As a matter of fact, given Avid's business model of abandoning and purposefully making products obsolete and worthless (several of us on this forum have purchased high end Avid broadcast editing systems that are currently worthless) it almost makes me wish Avid would divest themselves of the Eleven Rack.

I assume Avid will keep the Eleven Rack. And regardless of significant product improvements they'll name the next generation Eleven Rack the "Eleven Rack PRO"
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 AM

People on TGP are saying the 11r team is no longer with Avid. Looking pretty grim for our beloved modeler. Let's hope Avid can get their priorities straightened out and soon, so open communication can be re-established. Where's Max?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Maybe someone at Avid could just tell us what is up. I don't think there are any mysterious secrets anymore.

My guess is they sold the 11r and if that is so maybe the team went with it which seems to be implied in the press release. It would mean that the 11r would be getting a lot more love from someone who wants to move it ahead. Thinking back to what The Chimp wrote a while back, he seemed to imply that something interesting was coming….

Anyway… we have nothing better to do rigth?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnsman1 View Post
Maybe someone at Avid could just tell us what is up. I don't think there are any mysterious secrets anymore.

My guess is they sold the 11r and if that is so maybe the team went with it which seems to be implied in the press release. It would mean that the 11r would be getting a lot more love from someone who wants to move it ahead. Thinking back to what The Chimp wrote a while back, he seemed to imply that something interesting was coming….

Anyway… we have nothing better to do rigth?
Per my posts above, if they sold off 11R it's in direct conflict to their conference call.

It would be great if they'd tell us something about the future of the 11R. Maybe after the dust settles... Personally I'm not holding my breath. I have 2 11Rs, and if I sold 'em both I'd be $1500 away from an AFX2, so I'll probably sit tight and see if AKAI comes out with a new kickass modeler

Texasdave
Old 07-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
Per my posts above, if they sold off 11R it's in direct conflict to their conference call.

It would be great if they'd tell us something about the future of the 11R. Maybe after the dust settles... Personally I'm not holding my breath. I have 2 11Rs, and if I sold 'em both I'd be $1500 away from an AFX2, so I'll probably sit tight and see if AKAI comes out with a new kickass modeler

Texasdave
But the conference call was still very ambiguous -- unless I missed something Eleven Rack was not specifically mentioned. They kept saying they are selling off consumer focused things and retaining things that are "Pro Tools Advantaged" (whatever that marketing fluff speak means) but also saying that InMusic will have rights to bundle Pro Tools with some products (presumably ones bundled with Pro Tools now but are not somehow Pro Tools Advantaged).

I have low hope here, Avid has been silent on the Eleven Rack for quite a while and the core team appears it may have been split up. And with something as complex as the Eleven Rack it's all about that team.

Avid could easily at least just clarify wether the product staying or going.

Darryl
Old 07-03-2012, 10:11 AM

Wow, coincidentally I just sold my 11R this past weekend after getting tired of the lack of updates, expensive PT upgrade policy and general feeling that the 11R seemed like an abandoned product. Talk about timing...
Old 07-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Avid

Post Re: How did today's Avid business news affect the Eleven Rack, if at all?

Greetings fellow ER users! I wanted to jump in with a quick note to at least let you know that the Eleven Rack is still with Avid (and still an important product for us).