Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2006, 04:54 PM

Default New MBox User...MacBook or MacBook Pro?

Just purchased MBox2 Factory and am looking to make the jump over to Mac from years of PC use.

I've read/spoken to many regarding MacBook v. MacBook Pro, but wanted more info from actual users. I do know that if I want to do anything more than low level video, I need the Pro.

But other than that consideration, I'm looking for any guidance from the "pros" on this forum.

BTW, I'm an airline pilot and I spend up to 16 hours at a time aloft, in the cockpit or bunks, and in all levels of lighting. (Glossy screen users chime in!)

I've boiled it down to: MacBook loaded up with RAM and HD that will work fine w/PT, or the 15/2.0/1G Pro.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 AM

Default Re: New MBox User...MacBook or MacBook Pro?

For the time being, I really feel like the MacBook is a better buy. The MacBook Pro should be updated almost any day now though because Intel just released the Core 2 Duo processor and that is making its way into PC laptops right now so Apple shouldn't be far behind. I personally find the glossy screen a little annoying from time to time but I just adjust a little and its good.
Old 08-30-2006, 05:27 AM

Thanks...I thought the Apple rep was being a bit dodgy when I asked him what was on the horizon.

Anyone else?
Old 08-30-2006, 12:17 PM

Hi!
Yes- patience (I am in same boat here, minus the plane stuff )

Merom chips from Intel were officially released this week, and rumour has it certain production facilities are ramped up...ones Apple reportedly uses. At least I could swear I read that somewhere at least semi-reliable

All the same, hit MacRumor.com...Fact: Several laptop manufacturers have released Merom based laptops If Apple were not to have planned to respond in kind, especially given the "heat issues" that have been experienced, reported, etc...well, Merom *should* provide some relief to this.

When I bought ram for my Mac Pro, the sales guy on the phone asked if I needed anything else...I said I would love to buy a MacBook Pro today, but until the Paris show and what happens after Intel officially releases Merom and other manufacturers do the same, I will wait in case Apple does the same; I then said I would hate to have purchased one just a few weeks before what I REALLY want...he laughed a little and said, "Well, you know I cannot say anything about that..." The conversation ended, and he did not ask if I wanted anything else... not that he would have even known anything But, who knows? Maybe he did...or does...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.