Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2003, 01:20 AM

Default Half-Normaled signal integrity

Aloha,

Is there any signal loss when you split the source signal (top socket) from a half-normaled patchbay and send this signal to another input....like a mixer?

Thanks [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2003, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Half-Normaled signal integrity

I was just reading about this on the Gearslutz site, the response is from Steve Remote owner / operator of Aurasonic ....... a highly respected pro remote company.
Quote:
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by fross
...If I use a patchbay and half normalize, will I lose any of the signal? Are there any other problems associated with splitting the signal this way? I'd like to keep the signal as hot as possible.

And If I want to split the signal more than once, who makes a clean one, with transformers I suppose. I'm hearing that the Lundahl and Jensens are much better than the Whirlwind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fross, we do this every day with no problems. Using a patchbay with half normalize jacks is how we do it. You will not lose any signal unless there's an impedence mismatch with the gear you are bridging.

Remember, there will be signal loss on the secondary side when using transformers. Not sure why you want to spend the bread for that when you don't really need it. You may need it if the power source is different for the two units you're attaching together, but in most cases (when proper wiring is in place) you're looking good without them.

If you want really hot signals, have you considered line drivers?

In this situation, I believe transformers is not the way to go for this. Whirlwind has a "Jensen" spec transformer. Not too expensive, but a good old "Y" cord (or half normalled jack field) is the better way to go. It's cheaper too.

AuraSonicLtd.com
the home of ASL Mobile & Location Production
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hope this helps,
Tony
Old 07-01-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Half-Normaled signal integrity

Aloha,

Tony, thanks!! That is exactly what I was looking for... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]