Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2001, 04:46 PM

Default sucking in vocal effect???

I need an effect that is going to take an am radio mono vocal sound, and move it into full stereo and eq. I've got the tracks and eq automated, and they sound killer, but what i'm looking for is something that gives that sucking in sound, then a muted gap, then CRASH the cymbals, drums, bass, guitars etc... all hit. i have the cymbals themselves reversed, and that's cool, but what can i put on the vox. i heard a similar effect on the new backstreet boys song "drowning", right before the key change, but i don't know what they used.

Turn Me Up!™ – Sign Up Now to Bring Dynamics Back to Music (www.TurnMeUp.org)
Old 12-19-2001, 08:53 PM

Default Re: sucking in vocal effect???

I'd think from what you're saying, a reverse reverb would be the sound you're describing. It's a fairly simple thing to do and will give you that sucking in effect. Take your vocal, put a reverb with a long tail on it, record the reverb to another track, reverse it, and then move it before the vocal, and theres you're sucking/swelling effect. Hope that makes sense, and hope that helps.

Mike
Old 12-19-2001, 09:17 PM

• First you reverse the vocal track.

• Then add verb to the very last vox sound. Pump the verb up quite a bit to match the level of the vocal.

• Resample the vocal and verb as one new sample

• Now reverse this and VIOLA'.

It's very cool.
Old 12-29-2001, 07:04 AM

Hey folks,

As someone who does a lot of sound design I was intrigued by this post. I might suggest that, in addition to the effects listed above (that all deal with a vocal treatment), try mixing in a treated sound effect that has a loud transient that then fades away. - maybe a wave crash, an explosion, dragster burnout ,etc, you get the idea....

Anyway do the same inverse effect with it and incorporate it under the vocal effect to bring some added color to the transition. Maybe time stretch it to match and infuse some weird artifacts. Since its a radio effect that is the original sound, grab sfx from that medium - say a static burst or a big heterodyne whine. Might add that little nuance that makes things really cool to listen to.

Best of luck...

DigiDawg