Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM

Arrow Recording Industry Poker Tournament

Hello All,

I've had this idea about holding an event for our industry and it's finally coming together. Thanks for letting me share it with everyone.

With the help of Karen Dunn Margroff (of the TEC Awards and the Mix Golf Tourney) and Jeff Greenberg (of The Village Recording Studios), I am finally organizing the first Record Industry Poker Tournament for Charity, set for Sunday, July 19 at 2p. Jeff has graciously offered the upstairs ballroom at The Village for the tournament and Karen will use her years of experience as the coordinator of the golf tournament and TEC Awards to pull in the best sponsors for this event and make sure the players have an exciting day. We'll be able to accommodate about 120 people to compete in a No Limit Texas Hold 'Em Tournament for gear, software and other cool prizes. If you've ever been to The Village ballroom, you know how awesome this place will be for our event. Tournament profits will be donated to Sound Art L.A. (a local charity that teaches music and recording to underprivileged kids). http://www.soundartla.org/

We've been contacting gear manufacturers and software developers for product donations. The response from the companies that have been contacted so far has been extremely enthusiastic and we're anticipating some amazing prizes for the top 40 or so players, with the best prizes reserved for the final table players.

We are hiring a company that deals with every detail of putting together poker tournaments, including providing the best dealers, tables, chairs, chips, cards, and a tournament director, so it will be very organized and professional. They also give out poker swag at special moments during the game ie; first person to be eliminated, getting Aces cracked, the person on the bubble, etc...! This will be an amazing event and will sell out fast, so start brushing up on your poker skills.

We are in the process of building the website that will give all the details about the tournament, including the sponsors, prizes, and registration information.

The buy-in is $100 in advance with an optional $50 re-buy on game day up to the 3rd level. After a portion of players are eliminated from the Main Event, there will also be $25 Sit & Go tables for a second chance at winning prizes. We expect players from various skill levels, so don't think that you have to be an expert to join the tournament. It's basically an afternoon of fun, luck, and skill where people from our industry will be able to hang out, have a friendly competition, and have a chance to win cool prizes from great companies. Plus, you'll have the nice feeling that your buy-in will be going to a good cause.

If you happen to be a gear manufacturer or software developer that we haven't contacted yet, and would like to donate product to the tournament, please email Karen Margroff Dunn ( Karen@kmdpro.com ) and she'll send you a formal donation request with all the details and benefits. We have big plans for media exposure and the buzz in the room will be great PR for all your products donated. Also, if you think you might want to play in the tournament, either post here or drop me an email so I can get an idea of who's coming.

The reason I decided to do this event was to find a good excuse for bringing us together. Seeing old friends and meeting new ones, introducing the users of the tools we use daily with the creators of those tools, and supporting a charity that focuses on kids and music. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to let you know about this event and I look forward to making this an amazing day for everyone!

Sincerely,

Dave Reitzas
dave@reitzas.com
http://www.reitzas.com
Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Recording Industry Poker Tournament

Sounds like fun - please let us know how to register.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 PM

When I first came up with the idea for this tournament, I had a dream that one of the prizes players would be competing for would be a Bricasti M7 reverb.

Well, I'm extremely thrilled to announce today that my dream has come true!
Bricasti has graciously committed to donating a brand spankin' new Bricasti M7 reverb to the tournament as one of the Grand Prizes.
--------------------------------------------------------
Another amazing update!!

Fletcher gave me the amazing news that Telefunken is in with an incredibly generous donation for the tournament- A genuine TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik ELA M 251 F. Yep, no sh*t... a real ELA M 251 F!!! ...an $8,500 USD value [as of the 6/15/09 price sheet].

The prizes are starting to roll in big time with exciting donations from major audio companies!
The website is almost done and registration starts soon.

If you don't know how to play poker yet, now is a good time to start learning. There's still 6 1/2 weeks left until the tournament.

I'll let you know when the site is up.

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com
Old 06-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Wow, very nice prizes!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1m1 View Post
Wow, very nice prizes!
Nice watching you work today. Great job!

Hope you can make it to the tournament.

I'll be posting the link to the website tomorrow for everyone to see and begin registering,

Best,
Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com
Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 PM

Website is up at www.ri-pt.net

Dave Reitzas
www.reitzas.com