Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 11-10-2015, 12:52 PM

Default AVID, please stabilize PT 12.3

I am concerned that many people are still having stability issues and bugs with PT 12.3
May I respectfully suggest to AVID to fix the stability issues and bugs before 2016. This is more important then new features.
Who is going to subscribe to such unstable software?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:45 PM

Default Re: AVID, please stabilize PT 12.3

Still testing, but so far performance and stability is fine over here.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 11-10-2015, 08:05 PM

I'm on day #2 of 12.3 and I must say that I'm struggling. Getting the following behavior:

-CPU errors (9173) when the system usage is @ 50%
-CPU activity seems to spike on thread 4 quicker than the other threads
-spinning beach ball after 50% of the CPU spikes
-Eucon crashes when re-launching Pro Tools after a crash.
-a couple insanely loud noise blasts

...basically everything I was hoping that 12.2 would fix.

these are all issues that have been well documented here on the DUC, but they've all happened to me in only 2 days of work.

Here's the specs of the session I've been working on:
-78 tracks
-no waves
-lots of UAD and Slate VMR
-Sansamp (w/ dither in front)
-McDSP
-SoundToys
-Altiverb

I was really optimistic at first because when I loaded my first mix into 12.3 the system usage wasn't breaking a sweat at all. Most of the time when I get a CPU spike, the meters are hovering around 20-30%. It also doesn't just happen on, say, the chorus where suddenly there's twice as many tracks than in the verse. So I don't think I'm pushing the rig into something it wasn't designed to do.

I knew when I traded my TDM cards a few years back that the HD Native system wouldn't be as "bulletproof" as a TDM system, but I thought an occasional CPU hiccup would be worth it to get into a more powerful/modern mixing situation. I thought that by going into PT12/64 bit I would have a more stable "native-optimized" system, but that hasn't been my experience so far.

here's my system specs.

-MacBook Pro 2012 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7
-16GB RAM
-SSD system drive
-Mavericks 10.9.5
-Pro Tools HD 12.3
-Eucontrol 3..3.1
-UA console 8.4
-UA thunderbolt Octo
-Avid Artist Mix
Old 11-10-2015, 08:42 PM

Aside from this strange video issue I'm having on one session (encoding the H264 video in DNxHD 36 in hopes that'll fix it) I'm so far very impressed. I was using PT HD 11.3.2, and decided to upgrade my vanilla 10 license since basically all the HD features I really use were added to vanilla, and I'm not really into paying $599 and then $399 a year when Avid can't even explain in a reasonable way why the upgrade costs more, since it primarily devalues our investment in the software. Anyway, neither here nor there.

For me, 12.3 has been just like 11, yet it seems to actually work! Way more responsive, I don't feel like it's teetering on the brink of CPU overload or crash all the time like I did, my CPU meters seem more stable and not bouncing as wildly, and sessions that were choking my MacBook Air portable system can now be played straight through with no overloads.

So for me at least, 12.3 has been a big improvement over 11.3.2. Now if I can just get this video thing sorted out I'll be golden.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:54 PM

I finally got 12.3 downloaded and installed . The first thing I noticed was Waveshell version 9.6 seems to take forever to load up upon startup.

Now for a re-check ; I saved my Pro Tools 12.3 session / closed protools / repaired disc permissions / restarted my mac / opened pro tools again (just to see if I got the same scenario as earlier)
......, and yes - same thing (ie; waveshell hanging on load up)

All other plugins loaded rapidly , but the waveshell painfully hung for 1.5 minutes (3.6GHz 6 core Xeon mac pro)
Old 11-11-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam green View Post
I finally got 12.3 downloaded and installed . The first thing I noticed was Waveshell version 9.6 seems to take forever to load up upon startup.

Now for a re-check ; I saved my Pro Tools 12.3 session / closed protools / repaired disc permissions / restarted my mac / opened pro tools again (just to see if I got the same scenario as earlier)
......, and yes - same thing (ie; waveshell hanging on load up)

All other plugins loaded rapidly , but the waveshell painfully hung for 1.5 minutes (3.6GHz 6 core Xeon mac pro)

Try trashing waves preferences:
It worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watagushu2013 View Post

Quit any DAW.
In Finder, select the Go at the top menu, while holding down the Alt/option key.

Select Library.
In Library select Preferences.
In Preferences locate the folder Waves Preferences and move it to the trash.
Empty your Mac's trash folder.
Re-launch Pro Tools with a fresh session. If asked to locate the plug-ins folder, please point it to:
System HD > Applications > Waves > Waves Plug-Ins V9.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:47 AM

I'm having a few force closes with no error message, but that's to be expected when working with PT, I guess.
What's incredibly painful is the beachball that shows up all the time. I just click somewhere, and the beachball turns up for 20 seconds or so, freezing PT. Then it goes away and I can continue working. This happens all the time and is SUPER annoying. Come on, Avid...

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 11-11-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
I'm having a few force closes with no error message, but that's to be expected when working with PT, I guess.

What's incredibly painful is the beachball that shows up all the time. I just click somewhere, and the beachball turns up for 20 seconds or so, freezing PT. Then it goes away and I can continue working. This happens all the time and is SUPER annoying. Come on, Avid...

I am on a PC with HDX1. I started from a fresh W7 install, and PT12.3 is mostly Hanging or now Crashing. I have had the "no explanation quitting" 2 times in the last week. The spinning ball happens on closing the app 80% of the time. The others I could be opening a plugin window. Nothing repeatable. I have had GUI freeze however audio still playing back. So of course making sure I have the latest nVidia drivers, no difference.

None of this was my experience with 11.3.1.

I am working with one of the Avid support techs,

For instance, I can have a rash of AAE Errors, 6, 38, 2136 changing the disk cache size, I can restart the app and I can't reproduce the errors.

I am going to have to reload 11.3.1 to verify.

Disappointing.

W10 Pro / X99 / E5-1650v3 / 64GB ECC / nVidia P1000 / ASUS TB3 AIC
PT HDX1 / OMNI / HD IO 16x16 / 11R / Kontakt Kontrol S49 / Artist Transport and Mix / UAD OCTO Satellite, Apollo Twin MKII &, x8P Thunderbolt

[Late 2013 10.14 MacBook Pro]
Old 11-11-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSluiter View Post
I'm on day #2 of 12.3 and I must say that I'm struggling. Getting the following behavior:

-Eucon crashes when re-launching Pro Tools after a crash.

I had this issue as well. What version of Eucontrol do you have installed? I updated to 3.3.1 and it stopped happening.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM

Anyone else seeing SWODs when looking at audio files folder in workspace? We have six HDX 2 systems running on new Mac Pros all exhibiting the same behaviour. Trashed prefs and repaired permissions, disabled Eucon.,.no difference. Anyone?
S6 32 Fader
32 Gb Ram