Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2015, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Advice on setting up for Post

Just wondering if desktop video playback on a 2nd monitor is a workable solution for me? How is the sync on desktop video playback in PT12?

I'm considering as another option instead of getting a BM or aja card, upgrading my 2009 mac pro to a trashcan. If I did this, could I just get a 2nd thunderbolt display and use that for desktop video playback from protools? Any pro's or con's with doing it this way?

Thanks guys!

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/
Old 08-04-2015, 09:13 PM

reichman - Thanks for the info on the zones, haven't tried it yet.I agree that it's unlikely that we're saturating the bus. I am running 2 monitors and a OWC Thunderraid on the 3rd zone which gives me back my 4 internal drives I had on my earlier mac pro. Working like a charm. So a little concerned about another tax on that bus.

Stereo - you can run 3 monitors if you'd wish from the trash can, 6 actually, but that's crazy talk.

So you could have 2 monitors for yourself and a TV for client and now in PT 11/12 you can have both video on local monitor to you AND the client monitor too (good on avid for this). This is a failrly common setup now.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:35 AM

The T-Tap (and BM MM) have very low latency and processor load, as they really don't have to do a lot - they are simply producing HDMI or HDSDI digital only outputs. They both have to be on the end if a Thunderbolt chain as they have no through ports, but they are simply a PCIe device connected via Thunderbolt. They're not converting a DP signal, they are generating signal from raw digits. Never heard of "Thunderbolt zoning" for PCIe devices. Maybe for a DP display connection.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM

this is part 3 of 3 but it has back links for parts 1 & 2 http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...q=video%20sync
it covers the problems of just using the extended Desktop

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-05-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
this is part 3 of 3 but it has back links for parts 1 & 2 http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...q=video%20sync
it covers the problems of just using the extended Desktop
^^This

If your serious about sync, don't use extended desktop. Least reliable solution out there.

Pro Tools 10.3.9 HDN | HD Omni | Digi Command 8 | Artist Transport | Digi Surround Panner | Blackmagic Intensity Pro | JBL LSR4328 5.1
2.26GHz 8 Core Nehelam 8GB Ram OSX 10.8.5
Old 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM

Is there some reason not to just use the HDMI port on the Mac to feed picture to a monitor? Why would one need a T-Tap or DeckLink for a stand-alone Pro Tools rig?

Is there some reason to sync video on a stand-alone Pro Tools rig? If it's not recording from or feeding out to another video device, what's the sync for?

Last edited by V5V; 08-07-2015 at 12:52 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:47 PM

Desktop video playback has been proven to be the least reliable. Plus you are often up-resing to a computer monitor refresh rate, so you don't see the true sync.

i7 5820k 6 x 4GHz (12 threads), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, BM Mini Monitor PCIe, GTX 660Ti 2GB;

Dell Laptop, i7 4x3.6GHz (8 threads ), 16GB DDR4, Win 10 Pro, GTX1060MaxQ 6GB;

"Plan B" - i7 6700k, 4 x 3.4GHz, 16GB DDR4, Sierra, AJA Kona LHi, GTX 1050Ti 4GB.

RME FireFace802 + ARC, RME Babyface

Avid D-Command, Artist Control, V-Control, Korg MicroKontrol

7.1.2 Presonus Monitors
Old 08-06-2015, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
Is there some reason not to just use the HDMI port on the Mac to feed picture to a monitor? Why would one need a T-Tap or DeckLink for a stand-alone Pro Tools rig?

Is there some reason to sync video on a stand-alone Pro Tools rig? If it's not recoding from or feeding out to another video device, what's the sync for?
read what I linked to above it's all covered about what is stable and what is slop

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 08-07-2015, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
read what I linked to above it's all covered about what is stable and what is slop
I read what you linked before I asked, but I guess I don't understand.

Isn't playing the video out the HDMI port on the Mac the equivalent of sending it to a Decklink or T-Tap? Can't the HDMI output be dedicated to Pro Tools video (like the old Canopus box in the DV days) rather than just being an extension of the desktop? Is there some difference between playing video out through an onboard device versus an external one?

The article also doesn't explain (or I missed) why I would need an external sync signal. Isn't reference clock just a means of making sure two devices are marching together? In the case of a stand-alone Pro Tools rig there's only one device, hence nothing to line up with. Do I understand that correctly?
Old 08-07-2015, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8dB.co.uk View Post
Plus you are often up-resing to a computer monitor refresh rate, so you don't see the true sync.
I'm not talking about desktop video, I'm asking if it's possible to use the onboard HDMI port on the Mac to feed a dedicated TV/monitor rather than using an external device like a Decklink or T-Tap to do the same thing. Does Pro Tools provide an option to "Play Video out HDMI Port" rather than an external device? If so, would that overcome the slop associated with desktop video?

Besides, aren't flat panel displays universally 60 Hz (50 where you are) or a multiple thereof, with the exception of esoteric gaming monitors? That would make conversion a non-issue unless working with a frame rate that the monitor doesn't support, no?

Anyone please feel free to correct anything I'm getting wrong here!