Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 05-26-2009, 06:01 PM

Default Elastic Audio not committing to disk properly

This is driving me nuts!

I have edited Drums, bass, and rhythm electric. Feels great, sounds great. I export and hand off to the client. He says there are a few weird things here and there. OK, I'll double check. I compare the EA exports to the EA realtime and the waveforms don't match and the exports DON'T FEEL LIKE THE REALTIME!! What in the world is going on here???

For now, I'm just going to have to bus to 18 new tracks and print the thing the old way, but should this feature actually work or not? Shouldn't I be able to export it and have it be right?

Somebody help me out here because now I have to tell my client who works in DP why my work was actually good to begin with but my HD6 Pt rig doesn't work right.

Sorry for the rant, but PT is really testing my patience lately after 12 years of loving it.

Thanks in advance for any insight as to what the crap I'm doing wrong (or confirmation that we're all still beta testing features that MIGHT work someday.)

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy
Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Elastic Audio not committing to disk properly

BTW, even tried using X-FORM and got things lining up in different places still.

This is also a floating difference. Some spots sample accurate, others not even remotely.

mixboy
Old 05-26-2009, 06:27 PM

OK, I'll add one more thing...

I realize that when in Realtime mode, the waveforms are only approximations, so I shouldn't rely on that.

But my ears/internal groove clock told me something was up, and sure enough - files do not cancel out against one another.

mixboy
Old 05-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Avid

Can you give us specifics about what you're doing - your complete workflow, in other words?

Do you possibly have edits/fades on EA enabled real-time tracks? If so, that could be the problem.

Which algorithm are you using (other than X-Form)?

If you do a search for elastic audio, I've made several posts about how to get the best results. Yours are not normal and it's quite likely there's something in the method you're using that's causing the problem - but we'll need to know specifics to determine what it may be. Have a video capture would be even better - you can use the free Jing software to create and upload a video.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:32 PM

I'll try to do that once I'm out of the heat of battle.

For the record, EA works AMAZINGLY!! Super clean, no phasing - even on heavy ride cymbal/sloshy material. Well done!!

That's why it's a bummer that the export doesn't feel as good as what I'm listening to! My workaround for now is to bus/print everything to new tracks. Not really a big deal to do, but consolidate and export would be easier.

peace

Rob Burrell
aka mixboy