Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2013, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Revised Pricing for CPTK to PT HD Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
@Tom Graham,

The question that was asked, that a lot of people have expressed interest in, is that there are people with the CPTK, that instead of simply upgrading to the HD11 software only, would like to actually upgrade to HD Native or HDX systems.

They would like to see some kind of upgrade offer for them, having spent money on the CPTK license. Basically some kind of discount on an HD Native or HDX system because they have the CPTK. They could surrender the CPTK to get this. Also, ideally, they could combine this with other trade up offers like the 00x to HD Native, etc.

I had put this on the idea scale recently. A lot of people in the past had bought something like a 003 plus CPTK, who would have instead bought an HD Native system, only HD Native was not introduced yet.

It would be nice to offer an upgrade to these people, or anyone with a CPTK license.

Could you please comment on if anything like this might be available?
Yes, this is what I was also interested in. An upgrade path to a full-blown Pro Tools HD Native rig from PT10 + CPTK (which would be hardware + PTHD software).

Thanks Avid for listening either way - the software upgrade price revision is excellent news, but here's hoping there's one more rabbit in your hat. Surely it's better for you to take my money now rather than have me upgrade to a PTHD license and then buy my HD hardware second hand!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:50 AM

So, since by the time I was able to afford to upgrade my DV Toolkit 2 to CPTK it was discontinued, what's the upgrade from PT10 NON CPTK to HD 11, no hardware?
(Faculty edition, if that makes any difference...)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
@tom graham,

the question that was asked, that a lot of people have expressed interest in, is that there are people with the cptk, that instead of simply upgrading to the hd11 software only, would like to actually upgrade to hd native or hdx systems.

They would like to see some kind of upgrade offer for them, having spent money on the cptk license. Basically some kind of discount on an hd native or hdx system because they have the cptk. They could surrender the cptk to get this. Also, ideally, they could combine this with other trade up offers like the 00x to hd native, etc.

I had put this on the idea scale recently. A lot of people in the past had bought something like a 003 plus cptk, who would have instead bought an hd native system, only hd native was not introduced yet.

It would be nice to offer an upgrade to these people, or anyone with a cptk license.

Could you please comment on if anything like this might be available?

+1 !
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 AM
Admin Emeritus

Quote:
So, since by the time I was able to afford to upgrade my DV Toolkit 2 to CPTK it was discontinued, what's the upgrade from PT10 NON CPTK to HD 11, no hardware?
(Faculty edition, if that makes any difference...)
As Marianna posted we are mulling the academic requests over and may have news on this in the next few weeks - don’t get hopes up as we don’t know. This is my understanding of the current situation, and I don't believe that there is any difference for academic/faculty owners...

There is an upgrade to Pro Tools HD 11 software that is available only to CPTK owners with Pro Tools 9 or 10 software. The only other software-only upgrades currently available to purchase Pro Tools HD 11 software are from Pro Tools HD 9 or HD 10 software.

Since Pro Tools HD software is not sold separately other than those upgrades, Pro Tools HD 11 software included with Pro Tools HDX and Pro Tools HD Native core systems would be the other way to get Pro Tools HD 11 software.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:38 AM

So, in effect, the only way for us PT10 "vanilla" users without CPTK moving to PT11 HD of any kind is to purchase Avid hardware. Therefore, moving forward, only PT "vanilla" will be the only truly native, non-avid hardware dependent version. Serious, serious bummer.

I finally had enough business coming in to justify spending $2k on CPTK, but was told I should just wait until PT11 launched, pay my "vanilla" upgrade fee and then purchase CPTK. Well a fine suggestion that was now wasn't it!?!? I can't even get CPTK now and 11 isn't even released yet so now I'm doubly screwed.

I've been following the original thread, and I can say I'm really happy for the current CPTK owners getting the consideration this announcement has brought. However, as a small room owner making every attempt to build his business I'm back to square one. I have visiting engineers/mixers that have been requesting surround and/or VCA's. unless someone here can guide me to an available CPTK for sale, I just lost a ton of business it took me so long to build up.

There aren't words to describe how disgusted I am right now...with myself,mostly, for waiting to purchase CPTK when I had the chance, but with the decision on Avid's part as well. Shops like mine must really be in the minority I guess. As was stated by a few in the original thread, I don't have to purchase PT if it doesn't supply the feature set I require. But it did and I REALLY want to use it but I cannot afford Avid hardware nor do I require Avid hardware. Yet, to keep my newer customers, I'll be forced to...not really a gun to my head, but in my financial situation, it might as well be. Talk about "love/hate".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PT 10.3.3, Mac Mini Server-2.6GHz Quad Core i7 16gig RAM OS X 10.8.3, Tascam DM 3200-IF-FW mkII, UAD Apollo Quad, UAD Quad Satellite, Eleven Rack, POD X3 Pro, Slate-Trigger, VCC, Spectrasonics-Stylus RMX, Omnisphere, Lounge Lizard, Various NI VI's, Waves, SoundToys, Melodyne Editor 2
Old 05-17-2013, 12:05 PM

Have to say, this is a truly bizarre position Avid are putting themselves in. It makes no sense to have an HD software-only option only for legacy customers, and it remains a reason why some CPTK owners are gonna hold off... with it being legacy only, it does raise the spectre that they will kill it completely for non-hardware customers in a future upgrade.

While I'm pleased the price for the CPTK upgrade has been dropped (but still hardly cheap), it still doesn't feel thought through. Avid appear to be doing everything right with video right now, but the audio has been so botched the market is absolutely ripe for the competition to take advantage of the mess. Marianna - you got a lot of work ahead of you!
Old 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Have to say, this is a truly bizarre position Avid are putting themselves in. It makes no sense to have an HD software-only option only for legacy customers, and it remains a reason why some CPTK owners are gonna hold off...
Being one of those CPTK owners who are probably going to hold off on upgrading, I can't help but agree with you.

The reduction of the upgrade fee was greatly appreciated, but I'm still unsure as to where it leaves us once we have upgraded. The ambiguity on how the upgrade path will work with software only 11HD, along with the future upgrade pricing is worrying.

I'm also confused by the lack of any 'vanilla' to PT11HD software upgrade paths, or the ability to buy a license outright. Adding to this the lack of PT10+CPTK to a hardware 11HD solution seems slightly bonkers.

I'm hoping all this is rectified in the near future, and am happy to wait and consider my options - however, after three weeks of discussion, questions and debate about all these topics (and more!) in the 'CPTK gone in PT11...' thread, it begs me to wonder what Avid have been discussing this whole time. The announcement made on this forum, with it's lack of focus and clarity regarding the whole spectrum of issues, left me underwhelmed to say the least.

Regards,
Old 05-17-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioBlue View Post
I can't even get CPTK now and 11 isn't even released yet so now I'm doubly screwed.
You most certainly CAN still get a CPTK.
Buy one second hand. They've already stated that a second hand CPTK license qualifies for the upgrade.
There are also still many many full retail CPTK's available out there.
There are 15 or so on eBay right now.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:34 PM

Tony, What if the CPTK we own is a full license that does NOT expire, but happens to be an NFR? Will that asset qualify?

The same question applies to PT 9 HD and PT 10 HD licenses. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Cariddi View Post
Yes, that will suffice for eligibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter5992 View Post
Thanks Tony.

Quick question for those who have a student license for PT 10 and the CPTK (such as myself), is there going to be a special upgrade price for them? I have 4 years of free upgrade but that is just for the regular version of PT 11.
PT Ultimate
Old 05-17-2013, 09:02 PM

Thanks Tony and Avid!