Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Duet & Pro Tools | Quartet

Old 04-02-2017, 05:40 AM

Default Pro Tools Duet by Apogee does not wake up after sleep

I have a newly purchased "Pro Tools Duet by Apogee"-interface. It is connected on iMac (late 2009), macOS Sierra 10.12.3. I have installed the "PT I/O Control Panel"-software which functions normally.

The interface functions normally, except when I put the computer to sleep. When I return the computer from sleep, all visual indicators of the interface remain blank. The round volume-knob still modifies the volume, and pressing the knob still selects between the channels (in1, in2, out1-2, out phones). However, there is not visual indicator of any of this taking place, so I never know which channel/parameter I am adjusting. Only the one indicator that was active before sleep mode is lit (f.ex. phones), and it remains unresponsive. Working is not possible with the device on this mode.

The only way to fix the problem is to disconnect and re-connect the usb from the computer, which is highly undesirable in terms of optimizing workflow. I need to do this procedure several times a day, all the while making sure my active speakers are off/on. I made the purchase of this interface to optimize my workflow, so this is just ridiculous. Some of my collaborators don't have the same issue, so I am hoping there is something I could do to fix it.

Apogee suggested NVRAM reset of my Mac (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063). I did it, and it does not solve the issue. I was also given the following speculation: "If you boot your Mac with Duet connected (or Duet is left connected when your Mac goes to sleep) it can happen that Duet will not be detected normally on boot up and on the “wake” state . This is because your Mac will default to your core audio rather than your connected USB device so you may have sync issues. Normally unplugging and reconnecting your Duet's USB to your Mac will fix this."

Unfortunately, I am left with no solutions, and I can't continue working like this. Neither Apogee or Avid have offered any feasible ways to work around this ludicrous problem. And like I said, not all collaborators have the same issue, so I am hoping there is something I can do.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Duet by Apogee does not wake up after sleep

Having the same issues here... a shame for Apogee and another shame for AVID... i guess if Apogee had done that unit alone they would have done better.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:24 AM

Avid recommends disabling sleep in the optimization guide, Google Avid optimizations for your OS
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM

Sleepmode or power saving modes are PT killer and should ALWAYS be off completely no matter what DAW you have or used before.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 PM

As the other guys said, turn off sleep mode as it is not supported on a system optimised for PT. Just always follow the hardware qualification and pro tools system setup requirements and you will rarely have an issue.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Sleepmode or power saving modes are PT killer and should ALWAYS be off completely no matter what DAW you have or used before.
Yes, THIS ^^^

" Neither Apogee or Avid have offered any feasible ways to work around this ludicrous problem."
Solution:
Don't put the computer to sleep!!
Old 10-22-2017, 10:42 AM

Hi everyone..
I don't know if this post is completely dead, but I'll just add the following because I have dealt with this issue going on 2 years now, and it's obviously not going anywhere..

I use an app called Wimoweh, that I got a while back, which allows you to set up "rules" as to when screen sleep and harddrive sleep should be prevented.
It has worked great in many cases. for example it prevents sleep whenever PT is running, which means I don't have to deal with this dumb issue of the duet not working - because my Imac just doesn't go to sleep when a session is running.
But since i have recently started using a Macbook instead of an iMac (because of the flexibility). I now have a version of this problem, all over again...
I don't want my macbook to prevent sleep constantly (for obvious battery reasons), and I'm not always running PT, just because the duet is connected. So it would be great if we could prevent sleep, as soon as the duet is plugged in, so we didn't have to deal with the duet acting out all the time...
I think the Wimoweh app could be a good way to prevent that. The only problem is that I have no clue what process or program etc, I should tell it to prevent sleep when running...

Is there anyone who know what process(es) that start running when a external interface is controlling the audio instead of the default??
I mean there must be something that is running in the background, in order to make the duet call all the shots instead of the default right??
Would be great if anyone know of something that starts running when a external interface is plugged in....

Anyway just to recap....
To all of you who are running PT on a stationary computer (iMac etc.), you could probably prevent 90% of your duet issues, with this app called Wimoweh.. I'm not sure but I think it costs around 1$/1€..
After installing it, you just run PT. Pro Tools process-line will show in the app, and you just check the box "stay awake" - done..
another hint is to always have the app running in the top bar. that way you can always see if it would go to sleep right now or not (red logo means no sleep..)

But hope someone can help me out too.. - with a way to figure out what processes run when duet is connected..

have a nice day
Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 PM

I'm assuming you aren't using Pro Tools while on battery. Why not use Energy Saver to set your Macbook to never sleep on Power Adapter and a different setting for when you are on battery.
I have the original Firewire Duet and sometimes I loose audio or sync. I use the Audio MIDI Setup app to toggle the sample rate and that usually fixes the problem.