Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-31-2011, 10:04 AM

Default PT9 MIDI Editor Pencil Tool - gray, can't edit/add notes

I have no idea why this is happening. I have multiple sessions I'm working on that either never get to allow me to add MIDI notes, or they randomly stop allowing it. When it happens, the edit pencil is ghosted/grayed out.

That happened today from a fresh session....imported some audio, set up a new instrument track properly routed, went into the MIDI editor to compose the MIDI and no dice.

Some sessions I can get some MIDI done but then at some random time I can no longer edit MIDI.

It's got to be some sort of either pilot error, where I'm clicking some option and screwing it up, or it's a bug.

I'm not hitting record, and playing on a keyboard; I'm using EzDrummer or Reason or Kontakt normally. Basically programming in non-real time on the piano roll (MIDI Editor).

Running 9.0.2, OSX 10.6.7 - reopening PT or the session doesn't work, and neither does a restart. The corrupt setting seems to save to the session.

Any help would be appreciated, been all over Google and the DUC trying to figure it out......
Old 05-31-2011, 01:01 PM

Default Re: PT9 MIDI Editor Pencil Tool - gray, can't edit/add notes

Delete Pro Tools preferences.
-Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences
-Delete 'com.digidesign.protoolsLE.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), 'DigiSetup.OSX' and 'Pro Tools preferences'.
-Empty trash, then restart the computer.

Repair Permissions
-Quit Pro Tools and launch Apple's "Disk Utility" application, located in:

MacHD>Applications & Utilities.

-Select your boot drive (the whole drive, not the volume underneath the drive)
-Go to the 'First Aid' tab and select "Repair Disk Permissions"

Apple recommends doing this any time you install new software, update your OS or install any software.

Delete Databases and Volumes

This step can be useful when receiving random 'assertion' or 'neoaccess' errors, especially when recording or saving.

-Delete the "Digidesign Databases" folders on the first level of all mounted hard drives.
-Delete the "Volumes" folder:
Pro Tools versions 7.3 and earlier it's located in MacHD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases.
Pro Tools 7.4 and higher will find it in MacHD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases > Unicode.

-Empty trash, then restart the computer.

Then create a new session, create a stereo Instrument track and open MEW and then enable Pencil tool and add note. Can you?
Old 09-03-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Re: PT9 MIDI Editor Pencil Tool - gray, can't edit/add notes

I know this is an old thread, but I have since upgraded to Lion and the appropriate version of PT9. I've trashed preferences, repaired permissions, etc - still having the issue. Existing sessions where this issue happened are still not letting me edit MIDI. Just starting a new session is not an efficient way to handle this because you have to import all of your stuff to the new session. For a song that you've got a lot of work done on with plugs and etc, that's a big [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing task. Anyone have any ideas on how to get Pro Tools to work correctly here?