Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2020, 08:34 PM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,795
Default You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Apple has just quietly announced and provided a way to increase your system SSD storage after you bought your 2019 Mac Pro. So you don't have to max out your system storage when you buy the Mac Pro if you're not sure how much you might need right away.

It is do it yourself, and you don't have to bring it in for service. It does require using a second Mac running Mac Configurator 2 (free).

Note that this is not for adding additional storage in the other slots, which can already be done in various ways. This is specifically to replace the pair of Apple proprietary system SSD's with larger capacity after the fact, such as going from 256 to 1TB, or 1TB to 4TB, etc. I haven't seen the details, but you order the drives from the Apple Store. Note that in each case it is an extra $200 more than if you upgraded at the time you bought the Mac Pro, which isn't too bad I guess.

I assume the Configurator software handles whatever needs to be done configuring the T2 security chip and all of that. I assume you would also need to back up whatever you need to and so on.


Here is the link to the option on the Apple Store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...B4b82%252B464d

And a brief announcement about it on 9to5mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/15/macbo...u-ssd-upgrade/

Note they have also added another graphics card option for the MacBook Pro.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-16-2020, 03:12 AM
Marsdy Marsdy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,834
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Nice to have the option but man that’s expensive storage. Stupid Apple Tax.

For the price of 4TB you are really close to 8TB of Samsung NVMe storage on a Somnet PCIe card that is potentially four times faster.
__________________
Dave Marsden
UK
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-16-2020, 03:38 AM
Sardi Sardi is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,955
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
For the price of 4TB you are really close to 8TB of Samsung NVMe storage on a Somnet PCIe card that is potentially four times faster.
For the price of 4TB, you can get yourself a 13” MacBook Pro!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-16-2020, 06:17 PM
Ryan Young's Avatar
Ryan Young Ryan Young is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 1,742
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
For the price of 4TB, you can get yourself a 13” MacBook Pro!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA!!!
__________________
-Ryan Young

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 19,702
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
Nice to have the option but man that’s expensive storage. Stupid Apple Tax.

For the price of 4TB you are really close to 8TB of Samsung NVMe storage on a Somnet PCIe card that is potentially four times faster.
Also eating one PCIe slot so there are times when you want to upgrade that internal storage.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 PM
corp corp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 644
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Apple has just quietly announced and provided a way to increase your system SSD storage after you bought your 2019 Mac Pro. So you don't have to max out your system storage when you buy the Mac Pro if you're not sure how much you might need right away.

It is do it yourself, and you don't have to bring it in for service. It does require using a second Mac running Mac Configurator 2 (free).

Note that this is not for adding additional storage in the other slots, which can already be done in various ways. This is specifically to replace the pair of Apple proprietary system SSD's with larger capacity after the fact, such as going from 256 to 1TB, or 1TB to 4TB, etc. I haven't seen the details, but you order the drives from the Apple Store. Note that in each case it is an extra $200 more than if you upgraded at the time you bought the Mac Pro, which isn't too bad I guess.

I assume the Configurator software handles whatever needs to be done configuring the T2 security chip and all of that. I assume you would also need to back up whatever you need to and so on.


Here is the link to the option on the Apple Store:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...B4b82%252B464d

And a brief announcement about it on 9to5mac:

https://9to5mac.com/2020/06/15/macbo...u-ssd-upgrade/

Note they have also added another graphics card option for the MacBook Pro.



With this software one could mirror drive.....?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2020, 06:10 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 19,702
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by corp View Post
With this software one could mirror drive.....?
That's what it means
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-27-2020, 08:08 AM
corp corp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 644
Default Re: You can now upgrade Mac Pro 7.1 system SSD after the fact through Apple

Yes, that's what it means.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple keyboard on Windows 10 system. SvennK Pro Tools 12 10 01-18-2017 11:58 AM
Mac System(Apple) Input roaster42 macOS 1 05-11-2016 04:42 AM
Apple ZFS file system for OS 10.5 Park Seward 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 0 06-07-2007 11:32 AM
Getting a new HD2 system. What Apple is best? SoundFXMedia Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 3 07-05-2005 06:29 PM
Apple System Profiler Freak Out! Blazorge 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 2 08-24-2002 10:58 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com