Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-13-2020, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Sidelined by CPU Problem on 32GB Mac

Sadly, no. If you need good performance, you need external SSD on TB or internal NVMe SSD -- both expensive in larger size.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2 View Post
upgrade from USB-C
Any SSD on USB-C will be much better than your spinner, because by design SSD has minimal latency. Unless you need to use practically every library at the same time, that *may* be enough for you. With the USB bottleneck of course.
Old 07-13-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I wondered if the drive might have something to do with this issue as well. I have about 3TB of libraries all on an external drive which is a 4 TB Glyph USB-C (3.1), 7200rpm (not SSD). I was thinking of using this as a backup drive only and getting another one, but a 4 TB SSD with a thunderbolt 3 connection is about $1500. Ouch. Any suggestions on an upgrade from USB-C that would be an improvement but less than $1500? My internal drive is only 500GB...

I hope we will see more USB 3.1/Gen 2 USB drives in the 4TB capacity range soon and hopefully Thunderbolt 3/PCIe/NVMe drives as well.

The NVMe SSDs are just so stunningly fast, but always be careful that any "Thunderbolt 3" drive is a PCIe/NVMe drive... some may only be SATA internally.

If you did purchase an external USB SSD or SSDs today that might not be terrible... as you say you can use your HDD or clones/backups.

But if curious if the drive performance is an issue one thing you might be able to do is copy only the samples you need to the boot drive and repoint Omnisphere to them. And test, just to see if there is an improvement. I don't have a feel for how large the libraries you might need are... but I've done this in the past with other sample based systems.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I wondered if the drive might have something to do with this issue as well. I have about 3TB of libraries all on an external drive which is a 4 TB Glyph USB-C (3.1), 7200rpm (not SSD). I was thinking of using this as a backup drive only and getting another one, but a 4 TB SSD with a thunderbolt 3 connection is about $1500. Ouch. Any suggestions on an upgrade from USB-C that would be an improvement but less than $1500? My internal drive is only 500GB...
Omnisphere does stream from disk but the instruments really aren’t that big. It’s a bit of a throwback from when people had less RAM in their computers.

An external USB-C NVMe enclosure would be a lot cheaper than $1500
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ICY-BOX-Enc...s%2C161&sr=8-3

These are limited to 1000MB/s over USB-C but with the massively faster access time over a spinner you’re talking four times faster than your Glyph.

Unfortunately 4TB NVMe sticks are still expensive but a Sabrent Rocket 2TB stick is less than $300.

Even better one of these:
https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/express-4m2
Add two 2TB NVMe sticks and it’s still a lot cheaper than $1500