Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2017, 06:21 AM

Default Re: Am I a sick person?? Actually like working with midi in Pro tools

I've been using MIDI in Pro Tools since V5 and found it fine to use. The only thing I missed was the drum editor I used before in Cubase.

The only real problem I have is there is a new issue where MIDI notes at the start of a clip disappear and do not play once in a while.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6
Old 06-05-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Bond View Post
I've been using MIDI in Pro Tools since V5 and found it fine to use. The only thing I missed was the drum editor I used before in Cubase.

The only real problem I have is there is a new issue where MIDI notes at the start of a clip disappear and do not play once in a while.

Stephen
I whish they would include the General Midi editor in Pro Tools.

I'm having the same problem with the notes disappearing when copying and pasting events.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:06 AM

I understand E-Magic's windows code got sold to Magix for Samplitude at the time Apple bought them. I use Samplitude but haven't done anything with MIDI since Studio Vision daze.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM

Dr. T's? That program had some cool features and was far ahead of its time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I am also one of the weirdos that have had zero trouble with PT MIDI. But then again, I was doing midi in the late 80's / early 90's with Commodore64 and I could say it was a bit hard
Old 06-05-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I understand E-Magic's windows code got sold to Magix for Samplitude at the time Apple bought them. I use Samplitude but haven't done anything with MIDI since Studio Vision daze.
Bummer about Opcode. Studio Vision was great.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
Dr. T's? That program had some cool features and was far ahead of its time.
Yes. It evolved to Omega II for Atari, but I didn't want to buy Atari so abandoned that with sad feelings :/ at that time I really must buy a PC *grrh*
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 AM

The only other DAWs I have tried working midi is Reason and Studio One 3 (one project on the trial version)

Although I like Reasons instruments and use it all the time Rewired to PT the editing workflow in Reason is archaic and clunky.

Studio One was a decent workflow (with a couple of features that were great) but overall I did not find it strikingly better than PT .
Both programs as well as Reaper when I tried it, made me realize how much I rely on the PT multi tool, which I imagine is one of the best DAW features every dreamed up

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
The only other DAWs I have tried working midi is Reason and Studio One 3 (one project on the trial version)

Although I like Reasons instruments and use it all the time Rewired to PT the editing workflow in Reason is archaic and clunky.

Studio One was a decent workflow (with a couple of features that were great) but overall I did not find it strikingly better than PT .
Both programs as well as Reaper when I tried it, made me realize how much I rely on the PT multi tool, which I imagine is one of the best DAW features every dreamed up
I've used Reason since the first version, (when PT didn't have rewire, and you had to use a midi loopback device and a second soundcard to sync it to PT) and it's a great sound source. But the MIDI sequencer never attracted me. You must have used an earlier version of Studio One, because it now has a smart tool just like PT. I rewired Reaper to PT for a while to get more CPU mileage with VI's, but I never went farther than that because I found the MIDI / Rewire routing incredibly complicated. Maybe working with midi in Reaper would have been easier, but the routing completely discouraged me.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Last time I tried to use Rewire I got nowhere very fast. Rewire could only use one core of a multi-core Mac and that single core would overload really easily. It was OK for a few channels but any more than that and it would crap out.

This was some time ago though so I'm wondering if Rewire has improved.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I've used Reason since the first version, (when PT didn't have rewire, and you had to use a midi loopback device and a second soundcard to sync it to PT) and it's a great sound source. But the MIDI sequencer never attracted me. You must have used an earlier version of Studio One, because it now has a smart tool just like PT. I rewired Reaper to PT for a while to get more CPU mileage with VI's, but I never went farther than that because I found the MIDI / Rewire routing incredibly complicated. Maybe working with midi in Reaper would have been easier, but the routing completely discouraged me.
Yes I tried when Studio One when V 3 first came out, so that is cool .
I agree I found Reaper a potentially great idea, but so convoluted in it's approach, to be of little value, for me personally.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...