Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2020, 02:55 PM

Default How can I make Windows sound louder when using Pro Tools?

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop 16 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Core i7 3.8GHz, Windows 7. I am still relatively new with Pro Tools, I am quite comfortable with using Windows, altough I am not a programmer, so my knowledge is far from expert level.

By default, Windows' audio output isn't very loud, specifically the low end. By "default audio output", I mean Realtek High Definition audio in Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback tab.

My question is, how can I make Windows louder when using Pro Tools? Specifically, the low end.

====================

What have I tried?

Several pieces of software have been created to, amongst other things, boost the volume output in Windows. I use Fx Sound Enhancer. Here is a link to their description.

Fx Sound Enhancer works well as a playback device when streaming music as well as using standalone synth programs such as Equator, but I cannot get it to work with any piece of software that uses Asio4All. This includes FL Studio 11 and Pro Tools 12.

Why is it odd to me that Fx Sound Enhancer does not work with Pro Tools?

Fx Sound Enhancer appears in Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Sound/Playback tab. It is set as my default device, and Realtek HD Audio is disabled.

Like I said, sound is playing when streaming music or playing audio files (and it sounds amazing).

But the thing is, when opening Pro Tools and going to the ASIO control panel, Fx Sound Enhancer does not appear in WDM Device list.

Here's what makes even less sense to me:

Realtek HD Audio is the only device that appears in WDM device list in ASIO control panel (even after it's disabled in Windows Control panel!) And Pro Tools produces sound without problem with Realtek HD Audio disabled in Windows Control panel (but enabled in ASIO Conrol panel).

So my actual question is twofold:
1) Is it possible to get Fx Sound Enhancer to appear in ASIO Control Panel
2) If not, how else can I make Windows louder in Pro Tools, specifically the low end?

EDIT:

I don't mix with my laptop speakers. I use proper speakers (Alto Professional Kick 15) with subs. I also alternate with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 215).

Here's the thing: If you play audio in Windows with speakers or headphones, then it sounds a certain way.

If you play the same audio on your phone through the same speakers or headphones, then it sounds different. In, my case, the low end on my Galaxy S10 sounds way better than the low end in Windows.

(Also, if you play the same audio in Mac for example, with the same speakers or headphones, it will sound different)

This is in my experience anyways

Last edited by paulyg; 04-07-2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Made it clear that I don't mix with my laptop speakers
Old 04-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Default Re: How can I make Windows sound louder when using Pro Tools?

Honestly, get better speakers, and if necessary a sub for lows. Also a proper audio interface.

If you're going to be doing any recording of physical instruments, you're going to need a proper interface as well. On board audio might be fine for mixing or if you're working with samples and synths only.

You pretty much want Windows to stay as far away from your DAW audio device as possible - I disable my interface in Control Panel/Sounds for example. I use my sound card for Windows sounds, but my audio interface is for DAW use only.

You also don't really want to have any audio enhancer software on your DAW output. The goal with your DAW output is to sound as true as possible so you can accurately mix. Adding that sound enhancer is just going to trick you into thinking the sounds you're mixing sound one way, when they will sound completely different to everyone else. That's where flat response studio monitors are benificial.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 04-07-2020, 04:01 PM

This^^^^

And along with an interface, headphones and proper monitors rather than trying to use your computer speakers.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-07-2020, 05:25 PM

Ok, I should have stated this explicitly.

I don't mix with my laptop speakers. I use proper speakers (Alto Professional Kick 15) with subs. I also alternate with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 215).

Here's the thing: If you play audio in Windows with speakers or headphones, then it sounds a certain way.

If you play the same audio on your phone through the same speakers or headphones, then it sounds different. In, my case, the low end on my Galaxy S10 sounds way better than the low end in Windows.

(Also, if you play the same audio in Mac for example, with the same speakers or headphones, it will sound different)

This is in my experience anyways
Old 04-07-2020, 05:32 PM

I'm still not 100% clear on your complete setup. If you don't use a separate audio interface for Pro Tools, this is probably not going to find a decent solution. For the vast majority of Windows users, its necessary to set Windows to NOT use the same interface as the Windows Default Playback Device(under Windows Sound Properties). The reason being that(too often) Windows will take control of the sound device and prevent Pro Tools from being "in charge" of the hardware. You might be suffering a similar issue of a hardware conflict between Windows and PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2020, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm still not 100% clear on your complete setup. If you don't use a separate audio interface for Pro Tools, this is probably not going to find a decent solution. For the vast majority of Windows users, its necessary to set Windows to NOT use the same interface as the Windows Default Playback Device(under Windows Sound Properties). The reason being that(too often) Windows will take control of the sound device and prevent Pro Tools from being "in charge" of the hardware. You might be suffering a similar issue of a hardware conflict between Windows and PT
Can you please explain to me what you mean by separate audio interface?
Old 04-10-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
I use proper speakers (Alto Professional Kick 15) with subs. I also alternate with my headphones (Sennheiser HD 215).
Those Alto's are more like guitar or PA cabinets. After getting a proper audio interface, next thing you need to do any real studio work is a pair of powered studio monitors:
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-...nitor-speakers
Old 04-10-2020, 09:06 AM

And lets not go into how ”not great” Alto is .... I mean I rather use a set of Behringer Truth Monitors

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-07-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelG View Post
You pretty much want Windows to stay as far away from your DAW audio device as possible - I disable my interface in Control Panel/Sounds for example. I use my sound card for Windows sounds, but my audio interface is for DAW use only.

Joel
Can you please explain to me how you do this?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:27 PM

Agree with above. You need additional gear.

1. Use a dedicated audio I/O device for Pro Tools, make sure the Pro Tools I/O settings point to it, and connect audio outs to a mixer. (I use a Presonus Central Station, but you'll need a mixer if you need to monitor Pro Tools and Windows and other sources at the same time.)
2. Connect computer audio out to mixer. Make sure Windows sound settings do NOT use the dedicated Pro Tools audio I/O box. I'd turn off the FX sound enhancer junk, too.
3. Connect other sources (like your phone) audio out to mixer.
4. Connect studio reference speakers to mixer.
5. You can skip the mixer if your dedicated audio I/O has extra available ins. Just patch-in Windows, phone, other audio sources & use Pro Tools aux's.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume