Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2007, 06:58 AM

Default Which Reverb?

I have a project studio at home running on a 10.4.9 Intel Mac - since using the TL Space Reverb at work - slightly posher set up (though only just)- my D-Verb seems depressingly old school (not in a trendy way) and of course very limited - so as I have now decided to part with some money for some more plugs - specifically reverbs, should I go with the TL Space - bundled with the music pro toolkit? - what other more realistic and exciting reverbs should I be looking at??

Any thoughts or suggestions on Reverbs in PTLE (taking into account I'm now Intel Mac) would be appreciated.

Thanks

TMD
Old 03-19-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Which Reverb?

Well, I would stress to be compatible with your work. I have a real studio and a home rig that I use to edit and tune. I won't install anything on one that I can't on the other. I take things back and forth between the 2 locations and want to be able to open things in both places without having to redo plugs and levels due to plugs not being in the folder. If you like TL space and use it on everything at work, I would say go with it at home too. I'm sure (like most of us) you have "your sound/touch" that you apply to projects. If TL is how you get it, use it.

I agree with you on Dverb - its a little boring. Its ok for drums, but there are much better options out there. I hear good things about Revolver from MCDSP. I have it but haven't really used it yet due to being in the middle of a few projects. it has a ton of options and seems to be modeled similar to TL Space.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 AM

I've found that the
Waves True-Verb ($200 http://register.waves.com/WavesStore...item=V5-TVN40)

and RennaisanceVerb ($200 http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=192)

...are relatively accurate and have a lot of specific user-defined settings to get the sound that you want. yeah, d-verb is just... bleh...
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 AM

For the money, you can't beat TL Space plus all the other goodies you get with the MPToolkit. It's much better than the Waves verbs (which I also have but never use) - the only things I would consider over TL Space would be Altiverb (which is pretty much the same thing) and the Sony Oxford reverb which is excellent, but expensive.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM

I agree with jre3132 about compatability which is exactly why I was looking at TL Space - We have the DV toolkit at work as I do Post and sound design for video - whereas the MP toolkit would suit my moonlighting work from home better (singers and bands etc) - I actually tend not to use much FX apart from EQ - I tend to add a little comp on the way in but thats about it. I really like to hear the spaces where I record - and have a GBS spring reverb which is quite fun but when I want a reverb pluggin, which I generally only use sparingly - if at all, it's got to be the bollocks...

thanks for your advice people - I will look at the other verbs you mentioned too - any more suggestion DUC?
TMD
Old 03-19-2007, 10:21 AM

I have TL Space and think that it's very good at what it does, however, I did find it (and most convolusion 'verbs) to be a little processor heavy. Therefore, even though I use the TL Space quite a bit, I still found the need for a 'classic' reverb plugin like Nomad Factory DRV-2080.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 03-20-2007, 01:04 AM

I would go MPTK if I were you...for reasons mentioned plus everything else you get.

If you want a different flavor there is buzz around IK Classik Studio Reverb as being like a 480L...but this is a music, not post, reverb. If you're doing post work then you want the TL Space in the MPTK. I will receive both this week and give them a whirl.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:25 AM

Hi,

I have most of the current crop of reverbs and in my opinion Altiverb is hands down the best. No comparison with DVerb, TL Space, Sony reverb, Reverb One, Revibe, or any of the Waves reverbs. TL Space is thin and small by comparison.
M1MAX Mac Studio OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, HDX, S1/Dock
M1 PRO MacBook Pro OS 14.4.1, PT2024.3, BabyFacePro FS
Old 04-09-2007, 11:16 AM

Quote:
...I hear good things about Revolver from MCDSP. I have it but haven't really used it yet due to being in the middle of a few projects. it has a ton of options and seems to be modeled similar to TL Space.
If you've tried, are you able to use Revolver on your G4 without it choking? I hear it can be a hog. I'm still on a G4, so I'm concerned.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:24 PM

Sony Oxford Reverb beats any non-convolution RTAS reverb plugin out there. Waves Renaissance Reverb is nice too. PSPaudioware EasyVerb would also be nice, but it's currently VST-only and therefore will not work without a wrapper.