Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM

Default hyperthreading

is hyperthreading bad for Pro tools.I got a warning about maybe hyperthreading cause my computer to freeze up.Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Default Re: hyperthreading

Hyperthreading is normally OK.

What exact problem do you have now that you are trying to solve? What performance problem or exact DAE error numbers do you get?

Who/what said that about Hyperthreading (was in it an error message?) and exactly what was said? Very rarely disabling Hyperthreading may help with some problems, but I would normally run with it enabled.

If you are having problems start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above and describe you system in detail and exactly what you are doing and what is going wrong. Run a Sandra report and post here if you are on a PC. And describe what you are doing (what type of session, number of tracks and what plugins and hoe many instances etc.). And all the third party plugins and versions installed (just installed in Pro Tools, they don't even need to be being used to cause problems). And what are all the playback engine settings. We need to know what CPU model and clock speed is in the computer, waht disk drives make/model/specs and which drive is the boot/system drive, which drive is the dedicated audio/session drive and where any VI samples are installed. Exact OS type and version and exact Pro Tools version (and if HD or not) and the interface you are running with and it's driver version.

The number one cause of instability in Pro Tools is likely improper setup or bugs/incompatibility with third party plugins. Pay attention to basic things like too small IO buffer size, improper disk setup, lack of proper systems optimization. (see that link above).
Old 01-04-2014, 08:26 PM

hi D
this was the first time I saw the hyperthread message.I don't have my computer set to record on a separate drive so it could be the cause.I need to get that fixed.Pro tools freezes and has a buzzing noise sometimes.Sometimes it works ok but I do run into this problem
Old 01-04-2014, 08:28 PM

I think my computer records better at 128 and not any lower.Do you lower the buffer while recording
Old 01-04-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
hi D
this was the first time I saw the hyperthread message.I don't have my computer set to record on a separate drive so it could be the cause.I need to get that fixed.Pro tools freezes and has a buzzing noise sometimes.Sometimes it works ok but I do run into this problem
Yes get a dedicated audio-spec HDD or SSD and go from there. And make sur all the Avid recommended optimizations are done for your system. If you want any more help--including advice on a suitable audio drive, post all that system info asked for above.

I'm still curious what exact message from what (Pro Tools or a plugin or somethign else) you saw and what exactly it said.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I think my computer records better at 128 and not any lower.Do you lower the buffer while recording
Please don't keep asking questions when you have not provided the basic usual information expected here. Again start at the "Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!" link above on this page. What IO buffer size is suitable/expected to perform OK depends hugely on your systems, what exact plugins you are running, whether it is properly set up and optimized, the interface being used, session size and sample rate, etc. etc. Without *any* clue at all about that stuff nobody here can give you anything close to an informed answer.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 PM

yea that was the first time I ever saw that message and I didn't get the number .But if I see it again ill write it down,..
I have an outboard drive that I use for storing and backing up songs.Do you think I could record to that drive
Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
yea that was the first time I ever saw that message and I didn't get the number .But if I see it again ill write it down,..
I have an outboard drive that I use for storing and backing up songs.Do you think I could record to that drive
Again, more questions with *no* useful information. Nobody can answer this without the details on your computer and at a minimum the exact make/model/spec of the external drive and what connection does it have that will you use on your computer (e.g. USB 3, Firewire 800, USB 2 etc.).
Old 01-04-2014, 08:51 PM

is one of those IOSAFE units .I'm not sure what the drive is.I';d have to look for that info.It does run on USB2 .I don't think I could get it to run on USB3
Old 01-04-2014, 08:54 PM

• Single 3.5 SATA disk
http://iosafe.com/products-soloG3-overview