Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Default PT 11 not working on Windows 10

Hello everybody. I recently purchased a new computer (Lenovo Yoga ThinkPad 260) and I have had this problem previously, but I forgot how I figured it out previously (But it'll probably run better now because I have an Intel i5 in contrast to the previous AMD A10 computer I had because it ran horribly at times to the point where I couldn't record anything due to digital noise due to the combined incompatibilities of the OS and the AMD processor).

I installed PT 11 on this computer, but I run into a problem when I try to boot it. When it tries to load VariFi, it gives this notification and quits out.

It sucks that Avid is having trouble with compatibility with the Windows 10 OS. But I know there's a way around this problem somehow. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (21.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:21 PM

Default Re: PT 11 not working on Windows 10

Did you think about maybe checking on Pro Tools 11 compatibility with Windows 10 before starting to do this, especially before buying a new computer?

Like maybe.... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...EUCON-and-ISIS

And searching on DUC would confirm the problems people are known to run into when trying this.

Your best options are to get a Pro Tools 12 upgrade or downgrade Windows (if that funky laptop will run Windows 7 or 8 OK).
Old 06-07-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Did you think about maybe checking on Pro Tools 11 compatibility with Windows 10 before starting to do this, especially before buying a new computer?

Like maybe.... http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...EUCON-and-ISIS

And searching on DUC would confirm the problems people are known to run into when trying this.

Your best options are to get a Pro Tools 12 upgrade or downgrade Windows (if that funky laptop will run Windows 7 or 8 OK).
Yes. But it worked previously on another windows 10 computer. I previously had a Mac at first for about 3 years and the motherboard fried. The reason I have this computer is because my engineering school required this type of computer, so I had no choice. I would upgrade, but shoot I'd rather just sell all of my gear and use a different studio software and setup at that point than to spend $600 again. I had the program fpr 2
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyjtapp View Post
Yes. But it worked previously on another windows 10 computer. I previously had a Mac at first for about 3 years and the motherboard fried. The reason I have this computer is because my engineering school required this type of computer, so I had no choice.
And it certainly can work if you do in-situ upgrades from older Windows releases to Windows 10. It does not install on Windows 10 well. And it may have menu glitches and other problems if it runs at all.

If you upgrade to Pro Tools 12 be aware that Avid has made a mess of 12.5 and lots of people are hoping that 12.5.1 fixes frequent CPU and other errors. Lots of discussion on DUC about this... which you should read before upgrading.

I'm not really criticizing the computer, I assume you realize it won't be a high-end Pro Tools laptop. And hopefully you have a 16GB memory version, high-rez screen and a large NVMe SSD... all that will make it a much better platform that a low-end config. I was more questioning wether it can be downgraded to older Windows releases.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:53 PM

BTW the actual error you first reported is likely nothing more than you do not have an ASIO interface connected or ASIO4ALL installed if wanting to use a internal sound card as the playback engine.

Did you install the driver for your interface or ASIO4ALL?

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools starts and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog appear and select the correct playback engine.

This may get you past this immediate issue, but won't fix all issues with pro Tools 11 on Windows 10.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
BTW the actual error you first reported is likely nothing more than you do not have an ASIO interface connected or ASIO4ALL installed if wanting to use a internal sound card as the playback engine.

Did you install the driver for your interface or ASIO4ALL?

Hold down the 'N' key while Pro Tools starts and keep it held down until the playback engine dialog appear and select the correct playback engine.

This may get you past this immediate issue, but won't fix all issues with pro Tools 11 on Windows 10.
Completely forgot about that. That was the issue on my previous computer. I'll try that later!