Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Avid

Default Film Production Sound Tips & Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3

Hello Post DUC peoples,

My latest blog about making an independent movie is live for your reading pleasure and it contains two videos I think you may find useful.

1. Production Sound Tips from a Post Production Sound Supervisors POV.
2. Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3 that showcases how to get to the other channels/microphones from the AAF Mix Track. (To my knowledge, this is the first ever video to demonstrate this huge time saving feature in Pro Tools).

http://community.avid.com/blogs/avid...ie-part-6.aspx

Thanks for your support!
Tom

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 07-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Film Production Sound Tips & Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3

Nice Tom but, there are ways for Media Composer to strip the Metadata.
A video on the correct and incorrect way to handle the audio in Media Composer so this will work would be useful.

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Avid

Default Re: Film Production Sound Tips & Field Recorder Workflow with Pro Tools 9.0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
A video on the correct and incorrect way to handle the audio in Media Composer so this will work would be useful.
Sounds like a solid idea... I'll see if our Audio Post Guru Scott Wood can do a short screen capture on how we did the Media Composer side of things.

As I mentioned in the blog, you will want to ignore any rendered audio files from Media Composer - this causes potential mismatches. The cool thing is, once you get the AAF with rendered audio files from the video editor, you can then import it twice (once for the Field Recorder Workflow without any rendered files) and then separately (once with rendered files to hear what they intended and possibly keep in the temps and onward).

Cheers...

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM

Awesome work Tom!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Graham View Post
Sounds like a solid idea... I'll see if our Audio Post Guru Scott Wood can do a short screen capture on how we did the Media Composer side of things.

As I mentioned in the blog, you will want to ignore any rendered audio files from Media Composer - this causes potential mismatches. The cool thing is, once you get the AAF with rendered audio files from the video editor, you can then import it twice (once for the Field Recorder Workflow without any rendered files) and then separately (once with rendered files to hear what they intended and possibly keep in the temps and onward).

Cheers...
Still waiting...

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-15-2012, 07:52 AM

You're going to be waiting a long time.

Avid needs to take the lead on this with the Digital Dailies house. Supposedly there's an SDK for them to use, but either a) it must be horribly inaccurate or out of date, and/or b) nobody uses it.

We've talked ourselves blue in the face with Avid in trying to get these and other issues addressed. Expand tracks does work better than it used to, but only if the (undocumented) end-to-end processes are followed by the recordist, the dailies house and the MC editor.

More to come...

dc
Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM

I'm tacking onto the end of this thread in hopes of getting some clarity update on AAF/Field Recorder Workflow. After 3 seasons of picture cut on FCP our TV series NCISLA is migrating to AVID MC. With FCP I assembled the episodes with "Titan 4.x" and conformed cuts after that process using "Conformalizer" and good old EDLs which were run thru "Ediload" to make an FCP list work with "Titan". This approach has been stress tested so it is with some skepticism that I am looking into the AAF/FRW. In the demo video log it looks pretty fast but "Titan 4" on a quad Mac was very fast as well. It can do a 45 minute episode assembly in 15 to 20 minutes and then sync it in slightly less than real time.
So here are some questions I have.

1. Can you select an entire AAF sequence and have it link to the Sound Poly files?
2. Can the sound files be in a different folder?
3. Do the Polyfiles need to be "demulted" (Titan term)? If so I'm assuming Workspace performs that but how fast is that process?
4. After assembly I do a manual selection pass of the preferred mic channels and mute the others. We often see several picture versions so what happens to my selection tracks when we conform to the new cut? I DO NOT want to redo the selection process...it's laborious.
5. How does this all work with FX/Foley/ADR sessions which are created from scratch? I have a hunch that the AAF is no use conforming these sessions.
6. I've let the client know that I will want a solid EDL backup approach so that if everything goes south we can fall back on our tried and true workflow, but I've been told the Avid MC doesn't natively create EDL's and a third party plugin is need for that. Does anyone know if that is true? Hopefully that app can mine the meta data and create a "Titan" friendly EDL.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I welcome all comments

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I second the request for a video on the actual steps to handle MC audio when expanding tracks to Protools.

I know that 16 channel deva audio files as well as some of the Cantar recorded files do not play well with MC (in terms of Meta data being preserved once imported into MC). If the picture department loads in all the individual ISO tracks into Media Composer and then you hand those files to the Sound Department as .MXF files from the MC media folder, not all the appropriate meta data exists on those files, Ptools will not correctly expand the tracks in that scenario. A Deva and Cantar rep mentioned that some of there meta data is stored in the .iXML fields which Media Composer does not support) A established workflow and recipe would be greatly appreciated.

As far as I can tell at this moment in time, the only true and tested workflow is importing in the raw production audio from the original discs into a pro tools session and using TITAN for the assembly.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:57 AM

3rd that big time
Often Avid editors don't know what settings work for PT and we don;t know MC well enough to help them when it doesn't

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
+1

Great video. I think most of us have been aware for quite a while the power and wonder of alternate channels. But getting the picture department to start ingesting the media correctly on the first day of shooting is another matter!!