Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2002, 11:30 PM

Default HD Nightmare !!

I just started work on my first session with HD hardware. I am running an HD-6 system on a dual 1-gig G4. OS 9.2.2

All system-folder settings as recommended.

600 meg allocated to Protools.
Default DAE settings.

I have the 192 DIGITAL I-O (192 analog has not yet been shipped) with my Apogee AD8000se as the converter and clock.

Two observations.

1: It sounds REALLY bad. i mean, I'm literally almost puking because if I can't figure out what's going on I won't have a viable product for my client come Monday morning. It sounds THAT bad. Very muddy, flubby. "Burlap-over the speakers" bad.

2: My UI has crawled almost to a stop. Volume faders are jerky to the point that I can't set them accurately. It feels as if I have ten direct-connect synths running, yet I have none.

========

Besides asking for any help I can get, I have a question:

Can any of this be caused by a large number of demo plugins in the DAE folder?

I am running demos of all the DUY and Aphex stuff, and I need these until I can get my HD authorizations.

I'm going to start clearing out my Plugins folder right now, but thought I'd post here first. I'm afctually physically shaking a bit as I type this, I'm so worried that I made a mistake going to HD.

I figure, though, that there must be SOMETHING not right with my particular system. If others were experiencing this, we surely would have heard about it long ago.

PLEASE, any ideas at all?
Old 08-03-2002, 12:21 AM

Default Re: HD Nightmare !!

Well, I use PTLE, but I know that you should always allocate more memory to DAE than PT, especially if you're putting 600mb to PT. I find that 250 to DAE and 200 to PT is about optimum for me. That would explain why it's so jerky I imagine. Also, what is the total system memory, maybe your OS is lacking memory as well.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:26 AM

Daryl

For HD - DAE is part of the PT app.. so memory allocation is combined for both apps.

speer - have you tried running a minumum setup without an expansion chassis.. and see if that's okay, then build the system up slowly from there.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-03-2002, 12:48 AM

Burlap over the ears? Do you mean attenuated top end?

Is the de-emphasis turned on on the AD8000? There's a dip switch for that. If you have de-emphasis activated on the AD8000, it obviously rolls off the top end on everything and sounds eff'd up. I made this mistake once...so...check it out...

Overall though, it sounds like a clock problem of some sort...

Do you have that ApplePCI expansion chassis extension installed? Check on Digi's downloads section - it's supposed to improve compatibility with dual-processor Mac's and expansion chassis running HD.

And ditto to what Rail suggested...start with one HD card in the Mac. Try a DAT player through the 192Digital I/O to rule out an AD8000 problem, etc...

Good luck!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2002, 01:40 AM

"Overall though, it sounds like a clock problem of some sort..."

Yes, it surely does. The only difference between this system and my old one is that now, the Apogee's clock must pass through the Digital-192's PLL.

I've seen graphical read-outs showing that the Digi PLL makes external clocks WORSE, not better. It was an extremely minor change, so I wasn't too worried about it. I'm praying that this is not what I'm hearing. If it is, then I have an HD system for sale.

"Do you have that ApplePCI expansion chassis extension installed? Check on Digi's downloads
section - it's supposed to improve compatibility with dual-processor Mac's and expansion chassis running HD"

WOW. maybe that's it. I never heard of this. Where was the info posted?

I'll try it now.

====================
for clarification, this is the same Mac, expansion-chassis, drive system, etc etc that I was using for my mix-system, so I think that extention is my only hope so far.

Running from within the G4 is a good idea, but really not an option right now. even if that worked, I wouldn't be able to complete my project (I don't think.) When I have time, and less pressure, I may have to do that just to see if it's my chassis that's causing the problem.

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I actually came back onto the DUC just now to post yet ANOTHER emergency question, but regarding soft-samplecell. Please see that seperate thread if you possibly can help. (what a week....) [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

THANKS AGAIN.
Old 08-03-2002, 02:02 AM

UPDATE:

Disco,

I found and downloaded that extention. It probably won't HURT, but I doubt it will help, either. digi's description is as follows:

"Users with multiprocessor systems may experience -6042 errors unless they remove the Multiprocessor folder from their extensions
folder, thus disabling the second processor."

I haven't been getting those errors, and I have already removed the MP folder.

still, you never know.....

I'm REALLY worried about this PLL thing, as I intend to use a DB-Tech converter (at 88.2K) for my main work. Time will tell, I just have to make it through the weekend.
Old 08-03-2002, 07:20 AM

Quote:
for clarification, this is the same Mac, expansion-chassis, drive system, etc etc that I was using for my mix-system, so I think that extention is my only hope so far.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Check the compatibility documents. Not all of the expansion chassis that were approved for Mix are approved for HD, and with a 6 card system, you're really pushing things.

Lee Blaske
Old 08-03-2002, 07:29 AM

Sorry I can't recall the exact name of patch or service release #, but Didn't digi release a patch for dual processor systems that allows you to leave multi-processing enabled with HD and 5.3.1 about a month ago? It may or may not help the problem you are describing but I thought it might be worth mentioning.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:48 AM

Definitely something wrong with your system-- this is not typical. I just upgraded to HD and although I haven't done enough sessions to do a complete evaluation, it sounds at least as good as my MixPlus system with AD8000. I am using the 192 I/O though, no AD8000 in new system. Have you tried using the system's internal clock yet, and syncing the AD8000 to that?
Old 08-03-2002, 10:00 AM

speerchucker, when I got my hd3, everytime i put in audio (mostly A/D conversions though(but it wasn't the 192)), It was mildly distorted and just sounded bad, it wasn't like a typical overdriven clip distortion either....it was just bad cheap sounding audio.

I ended up having a bad core card. Are you passing all your digitests?

But HD sounds great, so don't be discouraged by your problems (except for the consequences of monday).