Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-27-2007, 07:12 AM

Default To Plug-In Developers...

Like waves has just brought their new API modeled bundle numerous developers are re-modeling and creating audio plug-ins.

Plug-ins like. EQ, Compressor, Dynamix, Reverbs, delays etc...

There are so many great plug-ins already of what I've just mentioned above. How about not reinventing the wheel all the time....

Maybe come up with something unique. Back in the days when they "invented" all the conventional processors they did not even have the possibilities that you guys have today. They had to use good old hardware and have an einstein degree to build it.

Now today with all you possibilities etc etc etc... You are still not coming up with unique stuff(Some of you are). Why keep yourselves confined to technologies that are 50 years in the past when you possess state of the art technology. It would be the same if apple would build more and more powerful computers but still aim to run OS 7.5 on them....Or a graphic card with a zillion megs of ram only doing 2d graphics in B/W

I'm not saying that I am not grateful that yoe have made protools able to use EQ's etc etc. on a digital domain - I find that it self amazing but I would love for more unique stuff to surface.

There are a few plug-ins that I could think of that I would love to have…

A real panning/Stereo plug:

When panning in protools - lets say to the left - the volume sent to either left or right is the only difference that is used to perceive whether something comes from left or right. In real life, if a hihat comes from the left it is not only the difference in volume that makes me believe that it is coming from the left. It has very much to do with the fact that it takes longer for the sound to travel to my right ear than my left.

This one can be re-created with digidesign's probably most simple plug-in "short-Delay" and a few others later in the chain. Actually short-delay is probably the plug I use the most next to mhlabs' channel strip.

Some companies like waves have tried recreating this plug but the quality of those are below that of a conventional panner.

Makro Plugs:

Lots of times I am chaining 3-4 plugs to get the effect I want to get. How about a plug-in that could hamster up to five plug-ins or more. One could then save that preset and would only have to open one plug to get the effect he really wants.

I know I can just import session data into protools but that is too much of a creativity destroyer... Fast intuitive workflow is essential for me when transforming an idea to life.

Unique / new Plug-Ins....

Plugs that I cannot even begin imagine today...

back in the days they built the compressor because they wanted to control gain and prevent clipping - today however, we have found many more aspects to utilize the compressors. And Gates. And Expanders etc etc.

To modelled plug-ins. I am not saying that they are not sounding like an EQ if it's supposed to be one or a compressor if it's supposed to be one... However, it sounds nothing like what it is supposed to model. Waves SSL: Just dont sound like the real thing and how could it... Same goes for the Fairchild Compressor from bombfactory : I love the plug but it has NOTHING to do with my hardware... LA-2A : Same deal.... - How about building a new style of compressor(dont ask which) Maybe one that has 5 side-chans or a graphic compressor etc etc etc.... Why always put in so much time in modeling the hardware which wont sound like the hardware anyway?

I know that many protoolers probably love those modeled plugs and this post is in no way meant to offend their likings. This is merely the place I'd figure that you developers would sometimes look in.....

Thanks ... (in advance maybe)