Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM

Default copy automation with ProTools 10

With Protools 9 it was easy to copy automation in one playlist and then to paste it onto the list of the other track (left and right tracks); with Protools 10, I can't see how to do it! Any help around?
Thanks,
Theo
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM

Default Re: copy automation with ProTools 10

Open the automation by clicking the small arrow under the track of your choice, one you have the desired automation, right click on the track and use copy special selecting copy all automation (or the one you wish to copy). No on the track that you want to copy the automation onto, make sure you see the desired automation window under the tack, and then right click on the track again and select past special selecting either pasting all automation or the one you desire.

Hope that helps.

Wave-T.com
Old 11-22-2013, 05:59 PM

Thanks for helping. I did know about that; all that I had to do in order to get everything working correctly was to upadate my ProTools ! To the 10.3.7.296 version. Now, I have no problems!
Thanks again,
Theodore
Old 12-14-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theovog View Post
With Protools 9 it was easy to copy automation in one playlist and then to paste it onto the list of the other track (left and right tracks); with Protools 10, I can't see how to do it! Any help around?
Thanks,
Theo
Did anyone ever figure how to copy automation in 10?

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 12-14-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Open the automation by clicking the small arrow under the track of your choice, one you have the desired automation, right click on the track and use copy special selecting copy all automation (or the one you wish to copy). No on the track that you want to copy the automation onto, make sure you see the desired automation window under the tack, and then right click on the track again and select past special selecting either pasting all automation or the one you desire.

Hope that helps.
For copy special, it is not necessary, to change the track view from waveform to an automatable parameter or open additinal automation lanes. Copy special all/plugin/pan works without leaving track view waveform.

For copying a certain single parameter (e.g. low cut frequency of the EQ in insert A of track 1 to an EQ in insert A on track 2), it is only necessary to get the parameter in track view, or in an additinal automation lane, of track 1; copying on track 2 can be done by leaving the track view there in waveform.
The additional automation lanes in track 1 and 2 must only be displayed for copy-pasting for inserts/send parameters, if, e.g., the EQs are not in the same slots of track 1 and 2. Not with copy special, but with just "C" (copy) in the source track and "To current automation type" in the destination track.

Choosing all or plugin or pan automation is done by copy special, the paste special command has not that option, likely to be used is probably its menu choice "repeat to fill selection".
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-14-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
For copy special, it is not necessary, to change the track view from waveform to an automatable parameter or open additinal automation lanes. Copy special all/plugin/pan works without leaving track view waveform.

For copying a certain single parameter (e.g. low cut frequency of the EQ in insert A of track 1 to an EQ in insert A on track 2), it is only necessary to get the parameter in track view, or in an additinal automation lane, of track 1; copying on track 2 can be done by leaving the track view there in waveform.
The additional automation lanes in track 1 and 2 must only be displayed for copy-pasting for inserts/send parameters, if, e.g., the EQs are not in the same slots of track 1 and 2. Not with copy special, but with just "C" (copy) in the source track and "To current automation type" in the destination track.

Choosing all or plugin or pan automation is done by copy special, the paste special command has not that option, likely to be used is probably its menu choice "repeat to fill selection".
I had tried the "repeat to fill selection" several times but it did not paste automation.

Also ProTools 2021.12, 002R,; Mac Pro: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon; 128 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC; Serial ATA Drives (Journaled HFS+): 2 x OWC Mercury Electra 3G 2 TB SSD; 3 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB; External Firewire Drives (Journaled HFS+): 4 x Seagate Barracudas 1.5 TB and 6 x Seagate Barracudas 1.0 TB
Old 12-15-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdjudd View Post
I had tried the "repeat to fill selection" several times but it did not paste automation.
From exactly what parameter of what plugin in which insert slot on one track to exactly what parameter of what plugin in which insert slot on the other track ?
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 12-15-2014, 04:46 AM

I made that question a long time ago. Everything is working fine, now. I rapidly discovered that I only had to update Protools 9 to Protools 10. Elementary, Watson!
Theo
Old 12-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theovog View Post
I made that question a long time ago. Everything is working fine, now. I rapidly discovered that I only had to update Protools 9 to Protools 10. Elementary, Watson!
Theo
I am actually trying to copy ALL automation (i.e., Mutes, Vol. Changes, Pans, etc.), where I have created a new audio track and wish to paste ALL automation from an existing audio track to the new audio track. [Although I should probably learn too how to do this with a plugin, I usually just drag-copy the plugin to the new audio track and it appears that all automation for that plugin comes with the plugin].

I know I can right click on a wave view in a track and "Copy Special" all parameters, and then open a specific channel but I do not find a way to "paste" ALL automation. So, may be I should start from scratch. If this is possible, what is the exact order that I should being things in order to make this work?

Thank you.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I know I can right click on a wave view in a track and "Copy Special" all parameters,
Hmm , I cannot do this with track view set to waveform. Only, when some automatable parameter is set to track view.
Quote:
and then open a specific channel but I do not find a way to "paste" ALL automation. So, may be I should start from scratch. If this is possible, what is the exact order that I should being things in order to make this work?
Selection in track 1 (the whole clip, the whole song, a specific range of time). Menu : Edit - Copy Special - All Automation
Select the destination track 2 (by clicking the track name of track 2 (timeline selection stays the same)). Menu : Edit - Paste Special - Repeat to fill Selection