Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM

Default AMD FX or I7 or Xeon To Run ProTool 9 Unchained?

I bet this topic will be getting a lot of play . . .

Who has gathered any experience or information with the new AMD FX as compared to the I7 Sandy Bridge? Anyone using [it] for video editing as well? Do you feel the Xeon Dual CPU trip is still worth the cost? I would take a guess and say that if you are into video editing as well, then maybe the Xeon is worth the cost . . . anyone agree?

Setting the personal preferences aside, (i.e., I'm a Intel fan forever kinda thing), do you feel the AMD FX can do the job as well? Or, is it more like, for the cost difference, the AMD FX is a better decision?

How are the Mac fans doing this days . . . still the only way to fly? Are we cutting hairs within the context of Pro Tools 9?

I am at the point where I need to purchase a new computer system for typical usuage of 80% audio recording and 20% video editing task. 50 track count with a mix of live session playback and recording is about as hard as I push my sessions, with reasonable amount of native FXs running. I am using a custom hybrid setup with an analog mixer and integrated digital features such as Euphonix Artist Series control, multiple display monitors, headphone feeds, etc.

BTW: I have a new SATA III 6Gb/s RAID 5 (4 x 1Tb, 6Gb/s, 64Gb cache Seagate HDs) sub-system with HighPoint Rocket RAID controllers) for my project data and boot of of a single 10K rpm SAS HD. I archive off to High Point controlled JBODs.

What motherboard and CPU should I chase? FX or Intel I7 or go ahead and see if I can afford the Xeon dual CPU platform? Can or have the I7 or the AMD FX CPUs been set in dual CPU platforms yet? I don't remember seeing any dual CPU I7 or FX systems? Have you?

Anyways, suggestions are needed and enjoyed.

Thanks,
William
Old 10-15-2011, 04:12 PM

Default Re: AMD FX or I7 or Xeon To Run ProTool 9 Unchained?

Interesting Bulldozer vs 2600K or should that be Bulldozer vs 3960X?