Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2016, 04:38 PM

Default "The hardware device is at a different sample rate from the open session" ????

Hi all,

I can't be the only one to have this problem.

I'm running a session at 48kHz and my MOTU interface is set to 48kHz and yet every time I open this session I get this error message about the sample rates being wrong. What's going on!?

Also when routing a single MIDI track to 3 different tracks/instances of Trigger and I press play it crashes

Thanks for any advice or help

- Sam
Old 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM

Default Re: "The hardware device is at a different sample rate from the open session" ????

Help us help you.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=336556

More info is needed to better help you. But even with more info there may not be much we can do other than give you some rule-of-thumb suggestions.

First, you should never share your audio interface with both the OS and with Pro Tools. Pro Tools expects exclusive use and the OS tends to get in the way when sharing the interface.

Your issue with MIDI and Trigger will require you to troubleshoot it yourself. Does it happen with just one or two instances of Trigger? Does it happen with another MIDI instrument? Does it happen with additional copies of the MIDI track each routed individually? Does it happen after you've trashed Pro Tools and/or Trigger prefs? There are lots of things you can try to solve your problem.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 08-19-2016, 09:46 PM

Default Re: "The hardware device is at a different sample rate from the open session" ????

I'm not sure how it works with Mac but Windows users have to make the onboard soundcard (not the PT interface) the default device for Windows.
That way Windows takes control of the onboard soundcard rather than the interface you are trying to use with Pro Tools.
Without doing so, I will get this error as well.

I also need to DISABLE the exclusive control options for my PT interface and ENABLE them for the onboard soundcard only.
This way I can also initialize the PT interface using the "N" key upon startup as well as change the buffer settings in the playback engine.
Otherwise, I can't initialize and the playback buffer "locks" to one setting.

But this is all on a Windows system. So whatever the Mac equivalent is to these things.

Last edited by take77; 08-19-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:11 PM

Yes, I've seen this error, though not recently. If I remember correctly, it seemed to be caused by another application taking control of the audio ASIO device driver. It seems PT wants exclusive access. I think the other app was even using the same sample rate, but it didn't matter.

There was one time I couldn't get PT to work, even after quitting the offending app. Rebooting the machine did the trick.

Very, very annoying. PT ASIO support is very spotty, to say the least. It was worse back in PT 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharchik View Post
Hi all,

I can't be the only one to have this problem.

I'm running a session at 48kHz and my MOTU interface is set to 48kHz and yet every time I open this session I get this error message about the sample rates being wrong. What's going on!?

Also when routing a single MIDI track to 3 different tracks/instances of Trigger and I press play it crashes

Thanks for any advice or help

- Sam