Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2003, 09:03 AM

Default Aux track to hear Midi?

I'm a beginner. I can hear playback though the MIDI device. I know I'm CLOSE to figuring this out, but how do I hear the MIDI track within ProTools? I've created an Aux track. How do I route the Midi track to it?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Aux track to hear Midi?

What's your synth?

Phil
Old 04-08-2003, 09:41 AM

In fact what's your system?

(ie. Mac / PC / Pro Tools / Hardware)

Phil
Old 04-08-2003, 10:35 AM

Yamaha RY30 drum machine through midisport 2x2 (USB).

Computer: Mac PowerBook G3. System 9.0.4

I've recorded the Midi info, and it plays back through the RY30...

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:31 PM

So then, When you say "audio in" (I know this sounds dumb) that's different than the Midi cables to the Midisport USB inteface going into the computer...

By "audio in" you mean the analog OUT of my Midi device to the analog IN of my computer? ie. good old guitar cord to mini plug?

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:07 PM

Firstly, MIDI contains (amongst other things) instructions telling a device what note to play and when.

Think of MIDI as electronic sheet music an orchestra would use. The drum machine forms the instrument, the musician is the sequencer.

MIDI doesn't contain any audio data whatsoever.

If it did, you'd be waiting minutes, possibly hours to hear the sounds from your drum machine. That's because the MIDI protocol runs at almost half the speed of the (56k?) modem in your Mac you use to send emails and browse this forum.

Like any musician, you must hook its output (either acoustically via a microphone or electronicaly via an audio cable) to the audio inputs on your computer to record their output.

Now, you still haven't mentioned what Pro Tools version and hardware you're using.

Do you have a M-Box, Digi001, Digi002, or higher in ranking?

Or are you using Pro Tools Free?

I'll presume the latter, in which case (and I think you have guessed it), you need the 1/4" jack to 1/8" mini-jack audio cable you mentioned.

An Aux Track is very versatile in that it can be fed (and direct) audio from a variety of places. You now need to (virtually) connect the audio input on your Mac to a Aux Track.

I'm not sure if Pro Tools Free requires any special setup, but look at the Aux Track you've created where it says "Input" and "Output".

Click on "Input" and see what your audio input options are.

As I mentioned, I don't know what you're likely to see, perhaps "SoundManager"(?).

Anyway, see what you come up with and post back you results.

Phil
Old 04-09-2003, 12:47 AM

Simply put... you should connect audio out from your drummachine to audio in on your interface. Make an aux and assign the right input to this i.e the same as the one you connected audio in to.