Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2002, 02:47 AM

Default External ADDA Converters ?!?

Hi everybody!

We're all trying to get maximum audio quality from our Digi001 systems.

Since we find ourselves obviously in the digital recording domain, the analog-signal to digital-signal (ad) conversion is a critical point. The digital clock is a very important factor, things like jitter come into play. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Since the software we use (ProToolsLE) is basically the same as the "big" version, one thought comes to my mind: We could get the same audio quality with our 001 systems, like the HD/Mix guys! We just have to use an external ad-device & clock source which has the same quality like their hw. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I do really believe that I'm not the first one who had this idea, so I'd like to read your opinions and experiences with additional devices.

Of course an Apogee AD8000 would be a nice addition to the 001, but it's really not within budget for everybody. Also a 2 channel device would do for most recordings. So the PSX100 ADDA is still pricy. I think some of you were talking about the Rosetta (it's only ad, though). But there are a lot of other (and often cheaper) converters.

What are you guys using and do you think it really makes a difference?

Thanks for your input! KaiXXX [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2002, 04:08 AM

Default Re: External ADDA Converters ?!?

well, the guys using mix systems with the stock digi converters (888|24 for example) are not getting audio quality much different from the 001. the HD hardware is a different story, being in a league of it's own, in my opinion.

on the home front, the RME ADI 8 represents excellent value for money as a 8 channel AD/DA box and sounds bloody good to boot. Apoogee haven't made a good converter since the 20 bit AD1000.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:12 AM

I'm sorry - I must disagree here.

When I upgraded from Digi001 to TDM, the interface that I managed to get at the time was a 882/16 (the pre-cursor to the 882/20 but 16 bit).

And this absolutely smoked the Digi001 24 bit convertors.

Please do the maths - the Digi001 retails (here in the uk) for around £700 now, for that you get 16x24bit convertors (in and out), 2 pre-amps, headphone amp, adat/spdif interface, Pci card, cable + Pro-tools software.

Now, thats a great value package I'm not knocking it, but the cheapest TDM interface costs about £1000 over here (the 882/20) - just for 16 20bit convertors and spdif i/o.

Even allowing for the TDM markup factor (if there is one - which I reckon there is a little bit of), just how much of the 882 cost is spent on the convertors relative to the spend on the 001 convertors?

I've moved a long way in my set up - from Soundblaster Live, Yamaha Sw1000G, Pulsar, Digi001, Mix+ and probably to HD - and EVERY time there has been a clear improvement in audio quality, not always relative to the cost, but always there.

Sure the older TDM interfaces improve with better clocking, and the newer ones are a lot better - that's progress, but there's still been some cracking music made on them, as there has/will be with the Digi001 I'm sure (and the M-box for that matter) - but the sad reality is the more money you spend the better convertors you get - even if the bit depth doesn't seem to support that, you also have to take account of things like the TDM interfaces being externally powered, this will also make a difference to the sound - as the designers have access to a much more stable powersupply.

I do agree with the RME interface though - superb value and something I intend to buy to extend my (intended) 96 i/o.

Just my 2p worth

Pete
Old 05-17-2002, 08:36 AM

just saying that to my ears, the difference between the 001 and the 888's isn't that significant. of course it's better but as many of us know, the gap is not that broad.

the difference between the 001 and HD or even 888 to HD is significant by comparison.
Old 05-18-2002, 12:23 AM

Well, the price is always an issue - so why not Mini-Me???

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/prod_minime.html
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 05-18-2002, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiXXX:

Since the software we use (ProToolsLE) is basically the same as the "big" version, one thought comes to my mind: We could get the same audio quality with our 001 systems, like the HD/Mix guys! We just have to use an external ad-device & clock source which has the same quality like their hw.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This is no new to the majority of 001 users, but keep in mind that the difference between 001 systems and HD isn't only HW based (even though it's the biggest difference): the new SW version is able to handle higher res files (up to 192 KHz), so the likeness between 001 and HD "could" only be valid for lower sample rates, and besides, I still think even in the lower sample rate region the HD will sound better since its architecture is radically different from TDM and 001; don't get me wrong this isn't another invitation to flame wars on sample rate, but a $900 all in one box, as much as I love mine, could never sound like a $4000 stand alone converter. The addition of a dedicated converter like RME will allow for a great sonic leap forward, but as long as Digi won't make PTLE able to handle 96KHz at least the production usefulness of 001 will remain attached to the low res field. Let's go and make some good music in this "low res field" now [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Cheers

L.G.
Old 05-18-2002, 05:02 AM

Here Here
Old 05-19-2002, 12:01 AM

Hi, have anyone tryed theese:
Marian Adcon (8 channel 24 Bit/48 kHz)
Alesis Ai-3 (8 channel 24 Bit)
Kronauer Genio (8 or 16 channel 24Bit)
?
I haven´t, but i´m going to by some of those in future... example Marian is VERY cheap... quality? who know... I don´t try to get better ad/da quality than digi001 ad/da conversion is. Just makes things to easier, I mean that i can use example analog inputs/outputs only in external FX and adat input to record stuff in (or the otherways). so i don´t have change plugs between recording and mixing ...EVER... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 07:08 AM

Concerning RME, right now the ADI-8 AE seems to be the best value. Has anybody tried this one?
Old 05-21-2002, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KaiXXX:
Hi everybody!

We're all trying to get maximum audio quality from our Digi001 systems.

Since we find ourselves obviously in the digital recording domain, the analog-signal to digital-signal (ad) conversion is a critical point. The digital clock is a very important factor, things like jitter come into play. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Since the software we use (ProToolsLE) is basically the same as the "big" version, one thought comes to my mind: We could get the same audio quality with our 001 systems, like the HD/Mix guys! We just have to use an external ad-device & clock source which has the same quality like their hw. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I do really believe that I'm not the first one who had this idea, so I'd like to read your opinions and experiences with additional devices.

Of course an Apogee AD8000 would be a nice addition to the 001, but it's really not within budget for everybody. Also a 2 channel device would do for most recordings. So the PSX100 ADDA is still pricy. I think some of you were talking about the Rosetta (it's only ad, though). But there are a lot of other (and often cheaper) converters.

What are you guys using and do you think it really makes a difference?

Thanks for your input! KaiXXX [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would check out these converters from the top:
1.Cranesong HEDD 192
2.Apogee Trak 2 - get a preamp with a smoking converter.
3.Benchmark or Lucid - Exceptional value for high quality pro converters.

I like the HEDD192 and believe it delivers the same or maybe even better quality as the PTHD 192 converters at 16/44.1. Certainly gives you more options like the tape saturation effect.

Just a thought.
Allen
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]