Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 AM

Default MIDI problem - Seems to be recording, but I can't hear anything on playback

Hi all,

I'm completely now to ProTools, and it all seems amazing so far. However, I'm having a bit of a problem with MIDI playback and any help would be great.

I've got an old Technics KN1400 keyboard and I've connected it via a MIDI cable to my MBox 2 MIDI in. I don't have another MIDI cable, so nothing's connected to MIDI out on the MBox 2 (which might be the problem).

When I create a new MIDI track, ProTools detects the notes I'm playing and velocity etc. When I play back the MIDI track, although the level meter (sorry, I don't know the proper name for it) varies which suggests that I should be getting playback, I can't hear anything. If I add a click track or another instrument, I can hear those; just not the MIDI track.

It certainly seems to know what I'm playing, I just can't hear it on playback.

Any thoughts would be great.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem - Seems to be recording, but I can't hear anything on playback

First of all, what instrument are you trying to play with your MIDI tracks? Is it external or is it a virtual instrument in your computer?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Re: MIDI problem - Seems to be recording, but I can't hear anything on playback

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure, but I think it's a virtual instrument. I played the MIDI notes using a keyboard (I also just tried it with my MicroKorg, but same problem). They appeared on the screen, but I couldn't hear them in the headphones (e.g. with the click track) when I was recording or during playback.

I assumed that the recorded MIDI notes would just play back through ProTools when I recorded them since they seemed to be recognised in ProTools itself. Would I need to set up a virtual instrument to "take" those recorded MIDI notes and output the corresponding sound?

I apologise for such a basic question, but as I say, I'm completely new to MIDI recording.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:47 AM

Thefire...(Nicse)

OK so this is what needs to happen on'eim... Since u've recorded midi already, Open an Instrument track, put whatever VI u have available, or just for starts to get it working, use XPAND if u have that, go back to the midi track & set that output to XPAND 1(thatz what it should say) & thatz it;

Now actually, when using VI's U don't even need a midi track open unless it's a VI that u can do or want to do multiple parts on...U can just use an Instrument track...

OK now, IF ur trying to recording sounds from ur keyboard, then midi is not the way u wanna go but I don't think ur trying to do the that b/c ur Thefire

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-06-2009, 12:41 AM

Thanks guys,

I had another play last night and setting up a new "instrument" track and picking an instrument using XPAND seems to do the trick.

Just to check though, the other option is to set up a new MIDI track, then select the output of that to go to XPAND, and then pick the instrument or whatever in XPAND?

I have to say that I'm blown away by the sound quality of the Mbox. Absolutely incredible.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 AM

yeahppp...but as I said, when U have VI's where ur only gonna use 1 sound, then its not a point to create a midi track; just use an instrument track & ur good on'eim!!!

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 11-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Windows 7; PT M9; no issues recording sound (singing etc) or virtual instruments.
MAudio Firewire 410........ midi connected in/out with Maudio and keyboard.

I AM trying to record midi from my external keyboard, Roland JV80. I'm okay with PT M9
"instrument tracks". That all works.

But I need to record midi from MY EXTERNAL Roland keyboard....because that's what I perform with.. I need the sounds that are on the keyboard.
I see the notes in ProTools on the midi track as I'm playing ..... the little green "volume / activity" LED lights up when I hit notes...and PT is recording the midi that I play... but I can't hear any MIDI that I've recorded. Thanks in advance for any advice