Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2017, 12:12 AM

Default Create Cross Fades Across Tracks?

I have split the dialogue for the two actors across two audio tracks. (That's because Ashley's voice is not as strong as Jordan's. So I've added gain to her track, while I've actually backed off the gain a bit on Jordan's track.)

I did splitting by razor cutting the boom track whenever the dialogue changed from Ashley to Jordan. And I moved Jordan's dialogue down one track. The result is a checkerboard looking pattern with no overlaps between the tracks.

At each cut, I want cross fade between the end of Ashley's dialogue on Track 1 and the beginning of Jorndan's dialogue on Track 2.

Is there a way to apply a crossfade across the two audio tracks? (Similar to how you would apply a cross fade if the dialogue were all on one track.)

What I'm trying to avoid to do is manually extending Ashley and/or Jordan's clips by a few frames so they overlap and then adding a tail fade to the outgoing clip and a head fade to the incoming clip on the other track.

Hope that makes sense. And thank you so much!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Create Cross Fades Across Tracks?

Why not go back to one track that has both and either use volume automation or clip gain to balance things out? That way you don't have to worry about cutting at zero crossings for one thing.

QAPLA!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
I have split the dialogue for the two actors across two audio tracks. (That's because Ashley's voice is not as strong as Jordan's. So I've added gain to her track, while I've actually backed off the gain a bit on Jordan's track.)

I did splitting by razor cutting the boom track whenever the dialogue changed from Ashley to Jordan. And I moved Jordan's dialogue down one track. The result is a checkerboard looking pattern with no overlaps between the tracks.

At each cut, I want cross fade between the end of Ashley's dialogue on Track 1 and the beginning of Jorndan's dialogue on Track 2.

Is there a way to apply a crossfade across the two audio tracks? (Similar to how you would apply a cross fade if the dialogue were all on one track.)

What I'm trying to avoid to do is manually extending Ashley and/or Jordan's clips by a few frames so they overlap and then adding a tail fade to the outgoing clip and a head fade to the incoming clip on the other track.

Hope that makes sense. And thank you so much!
Bulk fades. Select both tracks in their entirety, and press command F which brings up a dialog box. Choose desired fades.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:54 AM

The best thing to do here is to edit your dialog correctly by creating appropriate fill before and after each line of dialog for each character so the edits are seamless. If you do a batch fade by selecting all clips what will most likely happen is you will either create a fade going into your spoken dialog, which is not preferred, or you will pull out the heads and tails of each clip with a fade which could contain the other character's dialog. This would mean you could potentially be doubling little parts each characters dialog on separate tracks which might produce minor bumps in the edit and make it challenging to mix.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
The best thing to do here is to edit your dialog correctly by creating appropriate fill before and after each line of dialog for each character so the edits are seamless. If you do a batch fade by selecting all clips what will most likely happen is you will either create a fade going into your spoken dialog, which is not preferred, or you will pull out the heads and tails of each clip with a fade which could contain the other character's dialog. This would mean you could potentially be doubling little parts each characters dialog on separate tracks which might produce minor bumps in the edit and make it challenging to mix.
bulk fades done to separate tracks will not change the edits in any way. Nothing will be "pulled out". You'll simply have fade ins/outs on those tracks.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.