Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2017, 02:45 PM

Default Re: What computer to buy to run Pro Tools 12?

I would take the post about pro tools being unstable with a pinch of salt.

Yes many people have problems but most, In my experience do not.

As long as you set up the system properly, do not use multiple applications at the same time, and remember to switch off wi-fi, you should be fine.
Old 09-24-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan IceWood View Post
As long as you set up the system properly, do not use multiple applications at the same time, and remember to switch off wi-fi, you should be fine.
I've been doing all of those with my Lenovo P50 and Protools 12 on Windows 10. I can run Protools and Sketchup and Chrome at the same time with Wifi on.

And now that Avid is pushing their Cloud Collaboration stuff, they darn well better be able to run Protools and a web browser connected to the internet at the same time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 09-25-2017, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRecorder View Post
thanks for all the help and replies. I've just decided to build my own Protools machine a majig. Put all the premium stuff in it without paying for the name of a brand and save some monies.
exactly what i was gonna suggest. basically if you get at least a quad-core i7, use its internal graphics (at least for now; if you get a lot of -9173 errors maybe try an external gfx card), add a 500gb ssd (samsung 850 evo is good and cheap and plenty fast enough), 16-32gb ram (16 if you don't use many VIs, 32 if you do), decent cooling, and windows 10 pro, and keep your system clean, and you'll most likely be good. throw in a 3tb hd for backup as well unless you don't care about what you're recording.

nb: you might want to decide first what *interface* you want; if your interface is thunderbolt, you'll need to get a motherboard with tb, obviously. and as Thunderbolt is fairly young on PCs, you might do some research on which motherboards are known to work well with Thunderbolt audio devices. but if your desired interface is usb, basically every motherboard now made has something like 100 usb2 ports.

~peter in athens
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies