Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 04-01-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Fast Track Ultra - Main Output Knob Stopped Working

Hi, I've been using the Fast Track Ultra USB Interface for a year or 2 now with problems on and off, but this one is completely baffling to me. Out of nowhere, the Main Output knob just stopped working yesterday. The interface is on FULL BLAST at ALL TIMES. The volume level can still be controlled from the Fast Track Mixer / Control Panel, but the physical knob on the device makes no change at all.

I am using outputs 1 and 2 on the back of the device as usual.

I was running the latest driver, but Uninstalled it and then Re-Installed it again with no luck.

My audio preferences are set as they usually are (Output - Fast Track, Input - Fast Track).

Other Issue (may or may not be connected)...
I've had problems in the past with my Macbook not recognizing the device if it is switched on / off or plugged in / unplugged while the laptop is running (the latest driver did not help this). I found that as long as I plug the Fast Track in and have it turned on before starting my laptop everything is fine. If I try to turn it off or unplug it and then reconnect it again, my laptop does not recognize the device and I need to restart for it to recognize it again. I am unsure if this issue is correlated, however, because I've never had the Main Output problem before in the past. I can live with this, but I need the Main Output issue resolved!

Please help!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Fast Track Ultra - Main Output Knob Stopped Working

If there is any other additional information that would help someone help me resolve this issue I am more than happy to provide whatever! Thank you in advance!
Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM

danimal,

If you open the M-Audio Control Panel, do you have the option to "Disable Host Control"? I'm on a different interface (C600), but I believe that the control panels are the same/similar. If the host is controlling the audio, it would create the scenario you describe.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineticSound View Post
danimal,

If you open the M-Audio Control Panel, do you have the option to "Disable Host Control"? I'm on a different interface (C600), but I believe that the control panels are the same/similar. If the host is controlling the audio, it would create the scenario you describe.
KineticSound,

Thanks for the reply!

I do not see an option for "Disable Host Control".

Where does it appear on your CPanel?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM

This is what my M-Audio / Fast Track Ultra Control Panel looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fast-track-ultra-control-panel.jpg (67.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Setup tab view.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fast-track-ultra-control-panel-setup.jpg (47.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM

I'm still working on this.. Anyone have any ideas? I can't find any other sources of information on this subject online and I refuse to pay for tech support.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM

None of the Output Level knobs are working on the device.

Levels are only being controlled by the Mixer in the Control Panel.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:55 PM

Sorry for the late reply... No, my control panel for the C600 looks a little different from yours. I have the Host Control option in the setup menu (where you clicked in your second screen shot). My panel is attached; host control is in the upper left of the setup menu.

In host control, your PT software essentially takes over your M-Audio hardware so that you can do everything from within PT.

Have you checked your FT Ultra documentation to see if this is buried somewhere within your panel?

Also understand that the Host Control solution was only the first that came to mind. I was simply pointing out the first thing that I would look at, however there might be some other error or setting that is causing your issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2013-04-01 at 6.45.35 PM.jpg (44.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KineticSound View Post
Sorry for the late reply... No, my control panel for the C600 looks a little different from yours. I have the Host Control option in the setup menu (where you clicked in your second screen shot). My panel is attached; host control is in the upper left of the setup menu.

In host control, your PT software essentially takes over your M-Audio hardware so that you can do everything from within PT.

Have you checked your FT Ultra documentation to see if this is buried somewhere within your panel?

Also understand that the Host Control solution was only the first that came to mind. I was simply pointing out the first thing that I would look at, however there might be some other error or setting that is causing your issue.
No worries and thanks for getting back!

I searched the FTU User Guide for Host Control, but came up empty handed. I also spent a bit of time with web searches and couldn't find anything for a Host Control option in the FTU Control Panel.

I realize that this is only one possible solution and I appreciate your suggestion.

Do you have any other ideas for me to try? I've been working on this all day and I'm out of ideas.