Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 04-23-2020, 03:04 PM

Default HD10 Perpetual Upgrade to 2020 Ultimate Perpetual

Hi ProTools Community
New member here (although I have been using PT HD10 at our studio in the UK since 2012)
Hope you are all well and surviving in these difficult times.
As my first post, I have a very similar question to Fairchild about upgrading PT10HD. (It is that post that brought me the to the forum in the first place) but I have a couple of extra points I’d like your help with.
Last year I bought an HDX card intending to upgrade my PT10HD to Ultimate but due to various reasons, I haven’t done so yet (Partly because of the £1000 + cost)
And now I have just realised that Avid have removed the option to reinstate the Upgrade and Maintenance option and only offer a crossgrade to the subscription service.
As someone who has been using the same Perpetual HD10 subscription for 8 years this is not something I want.
Fortunately, I see that there are a few resellers still offering the option to purchase an Upgrade and Support Reinstatement licence and I intend to buy one ASAP but I can’t currently see my PT10HD registered in my Avid account so only have the licence on my iLoK and I need to know if this will be a problem when doing the upgrade
I bought the PT10HD from a third party seller eight years ago and no longer have any of the details but I’m pretty sure I registered it with Avid at the time, but if I buy the U&S licence without PTHD10 showing in my Avid account will it work and how will I apply it ?
As I also have a current version of standard PT with a U&S contract so I have raised a query about this with Avid but they have not got back to me yet and time in running out.
In addition, when I bought the HDX card last year I contacted Avid to check that when I Upgraded I would have the digi link /O licence as part of the deal (I’m still running a couple of 192s) and they said yes, does anyone know if this is this still the case ?
Sorry, this is all a bit long and rambling but any advice you could give me would be much appreciated.
All the best and Stay Well
Old 04-23-2020, 03:21 PM

Default Re: HD10 Perpetual Upgrade to 2020 Ultimate Perpetual

I suggest you to ask resellers about that. Yes you need the digi link I/O license but it comes along with the reinstatation option so if you buy it it is included. I bought the reinst and some annual plans from one of these reseller. Mine is a very nice guy. PM me if you need info about him.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:22 AM

Hi Thanks for the reply, having had some discussions with other engineers and knowing that the U&S packages are running out very quickly (especially during lockdown) I have taken the plunge and purchased one from Thomann (very good price) I will try and install it later today but will be back on the forum if I have any problems
BTW I think I posted this query in the wrong thread. It should probably have been under Licencing and accounts, it there a method for moving it to another folder?
Old 04-24-2020, 03:31 AM

Hi, welcome to the community.

Moving to licensing forum.

What you are looking for is "reinstatement" of Support and Update Plan. Problem is Avid stopped selling those last year so you need to find a reseller that has old stock.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:41 AM

Yes, if you do not have it in your Avid account, you will not be able to use the reinstatement you bought. If you have the license on an ilok registered to your ilok account, you probably transfered the license, and have to find out why it's not showing up in your Avid account.
If you just "bought" the ilok, or if the previous owner gave you control over the ilok account that holds the license you bought, than you cannot use the reinstatement, because you do not officially own the PT10 license.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:44 AM

Escalated this, but cannot promise anything. PT purchase should be in Avid Account to begin with so I have no clue how this goes.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:44 PM

Well I’m very glad to report that the upgrade worked perfectly.
I still don’t know why the PTHD10 wasn’t shown in my Avid account but when I entered the redemption code for the upgrade and support plan, it found the licence in my linked iLoK account and I now have a full upgraded licence for PT 10/11/12 & Ultimate + I/O and a support plan which it’s showing in my Avid account.
I would recommend anybody currently sitting with and old version PT (Especially HD) to grab one of the last few Upgrade & Support plans before they run out. I got mine for £550 from Thomann (I think they sell worldwide) also Sweetwater have them but want $999 which is a bit steep and there are a couple listed on Ebay

BTW I did purchase my PT 10HD from a legitimate business seller on Ebay (located in Canada I think) and looking back to my emails of 2012 he transferred the licence directly to my iLOK as Avid allowed that in those days. I thought I had registered it with them but that could be why it wasn’t shown in my account.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:47 PM

Lots of policy changes since PT8 (DigiDesign) but Avid should honor every legitimate purchase and license transfer so all of this is just a big PITA