Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2004, 07:10 AM

Default Replicated CDs don\'t sound as good as the original

I just got my replicated CDs back. When compared side by side to the final 16 bit PMCD provided by the mastering engineer, I noticed very slight discrepancies in sound and on the waveforms I loaded back into Pro Tools.

The mastering engineer told me, "The replicated CD is pressed with injection molding. When doing a run of 100 or 100 million, there is a slight discrepancy and there is nothing anyone can do about it. You are in the same boat as everyone else. When we go to data downloads as the final product, this problem will go away" - Big Time NYC Mastering Guy

Can anyone confirm this? When I copy the CD from the mastering engineer, it's perfect. The one from replication sounds almost perfect.

Comments anyone????

3rd LP Record - In progress, coming soon!
2nd LP Record - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michaux2
1st LP Record - http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/michaux
Old 05-08-2004, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Replicated CDs don\'t sound as good as the orig

So what´s up? this way everyone can have their own unique copy

OK,
as long as everybody does not have excactly the same playback device, the same set of ears and the same cultural expierience and background it´s useless bothering about these discrepancies.

And the ghetto blaster army won´t notice the difference anyway. Nobody will unles they invest at least $$$$ in a high range CD-player amp, speakers and cables.

Variation and change is the essence of life and culture, if the message is understood the rest is secondary (also there IS a discussion about form and function) .

Besides, if your music needs to be THIS EXCACT to be distinguishable from other artists then you are hunting the wrong Snark

regs

(in total ingnorance to the technical problems in the post referred to.)
Old 05-08-2004, 09:35 AM

This sounds wrong to me. Yes, there might be variations caused by pressing the CD. Minor differences from disk to disk.

But those differences should not be large enough to hear, or see when viewing the approximations of the waveform we get in ProTools.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:37 PM

Default no way......

Pro tools draws it's waveforms very fast. I suspect that you could import the same track from the same CD twice and see disparaties in the waveforms.

Inequities between a PMCD and it's copies would manifest themselves as errors, and in severe cases, repetitive noise or 'ticks' in the playback.

Your ears are playing tricks on you maybe.

Old 05-08-2004, 10:22 PM

Default Re: no way......

definitely employ a method of A/B of the tracks where you do not know which is playing.

If indeed there are inconsistancies in the Dups and the original, have the pressing plant redo them, or get your money back. You should not in identical playback cheains be abele to hear any difference.
Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 PM

Default Re: no way......

Quote:
Pro tools draws it's waveforms very fast. I suspect that you could import the same track from the same CD twice and see disparaties in the waveforms.

I'd bet big money against that.

Old 05-09-2004, 04:05 AM

So to be a little contructive:

get the PMCD into PT, ripp the same track from CD and import and reverse the phase (with EQ, e.g.)

hit play. you should be hearing exactly nothing. Do a BTD to examine the leftovers.

regs
Old 05-09-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:

get the PMCD into PT, ripp the same track from CD and import and reverse the phase (with EQ, e.g.)

hit play. you should be hearing exactly nothing. Do a BTD to examine the leftovers.

regs
Exactly--this is a time-consuming way to test a CD, but if you get no level on the bounce, you KNOW the CD is a perfect replica.

For what it's worth, I've used this method to test a number of CDs that I've sent away for production (to DiscMakers and Oasis), and the pressed CDs typically come back as perfect bit-for-bit copies of the master.

James
[email protected]
Old 05-09-2004, 11:48 PM

Check out the March 2000 EQ article by Roger Nichols on the subject. It's an old article, but still may have some relevance.

www.rogernichols.com

Click on the "EQ Columns" in the left column, and then select the March 2000 article.
Old 05-10-2004, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

regs
Exactly--this is a time-consuming way to test a CD, but if you get no level on the bounce, you KNOW the CD is a perfect replica.

For what it's worth, I've used this method to test a number of CDs that I've sent away for production (to DiscMakers and Oasis), and the pressed CDs typically come back as perfect bit-for-bit copies of the master.

James
[email protected]
Depending on the accuracy of your ripping software!!!!

MANY MANY apps out there are inaccurate. I strongly recommend using something other than iTunes, Toast, JAM or the movie import in ProTools. All are faulty on occassion. The only program I actually trust is Exact Audio Copy (EAC) for the PC.

Damon