Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2021, 11:27 AM

Default Downloading & installing older Pro Tools First?

I have Pro Tools LE 8 running on a 2009 MacBook Pro that still has Mac OS X 10. 6. I haven't updated the OS on that computer because it would likely make most of my (expensive) recording, video, and graphics software unusable.

But a couple of years ago, I got a 15" 2009 MacBook Pro that runs Mac OS X 10.11.6 (El Capitan) with a 3.06 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and would like to install Pro Tools First on it.

I see there are versions of Pro Tools First that will run on what I have but is it possible to download the best one for me, install it and authorize it on my iLok?

I've found pages with ReadMe files but not a page with legacy downloads.

Any help/advice would be appreciated!
Old 03-06-2021, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Downloading & installing older Pro Tools First?

Old copies of Pro Tools First, like other Avid software is available in the download center on Avid.com. This is *not* the "My Products" section of your Avid.com account. You have to register for the Download Center separately.

You do realize that Pro Tools First is severe crippleware? Relies on apparently unreliable cloud storage (I'd not trust any of my work to that cloud storage), cannot save in a session you can read in Pro Tools 8, cannot use any of your current third party plugins (even if you can get them in AAX-64 format)--it only works with plugins purchased through the online marketplace.

Pro Tools First 12.8.2 and later can import a session, but can't save it. Earlier versions could not even import from a session. Hopefully you can run a version later than that, and hopefully it will convert a legacy PT 8 format session if you want to work with some of your current sessions.

"authorize on your iLok"... that's not how Pro Tools First is authorized, it uses Pace/iLok technology but not the physical iLok key. If you missed that be careful about all the other stuff, issues, limitations you might have missed.