Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 02-10-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Carbon and MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 ??

Hey everybody!

I need to know if any of you have tried testing Carbon on a MacBook mid 2012, with macOS 10.15.7. (16RAM, 2 TB)

Is it possible that it works in an unsupported way?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png lvm.png (19.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-10-2021, 01:46 PM
Avid

Default Re: Carbon and MacBook Pro 13 mid 2012 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellotronik View Post
Hey everybody!

I need to know if any of you have tried testing Carbon on a MacBook mid 2012, with macOS 10.15.7. (16RAM, 2 TB)

Is it possible that it works in an unsupported way?

Thanks!
Hello,

We haven't tested that machine. And, in general we don't qualify dual-core machines due to poor performance. Technically, Carbon should "work" because that Mac has a Thunderbolt port (if I'm not mistaken). But, I'd expect the user experience to not be very good.
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-10-2021, 09:14 PM

Thanks Kyle
Old 02-16-2021, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hello,

We haven't tested that machine. And, in general we don't qualify dual-core machines due to poor performance. Technically, Carbon should "work" because that Mac has a Thunderbolt port (if I'm not mistaken). But, I'd expect the user experience to not be very good.
Kyle, Hello! I am going to update my macbook pro and I need to know if it is compatible with Avid Carbon. As the M1 options are not officially supported yet, I'm going for the intel version:

2.3GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz + 32 ram + 2 TB ssd.

In the compatibility list, this macbook pro does not appear. Can you guide me?

Best
Old 02-16-2021, 12:24 PM
Avid

Quote:
Kyle, Hello! I am going to update my macbook pro and I need to know if it is compatible with Avid Carbon. As the M1 options are not officially supported yet, I'm going for the intel version:

2.3GHz quad-core 10th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.1GHz + 32 ram + 2 TB ssd.

In the compatibility list, this macbook pro does not appear. Can you guide me?

Best
Hello,

We've tested that model, but haven't been able to qualify it yet due to poor performance at low buffer sizes. And, we haven't yet tested the i5 version so I can't say if it experiences the same issue. I'll post an update here if that changes.

Thanks.
Berkeley, CA
Old 02-16-2021, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Splittgerber View Post
Hello,

We've tested that model, but haven't been able to qualify it yet due to poor performance at low buffer sizes. And, we haven't yet tested the i5 version so I can't say if it experiences the same issue. I'll post an update here if that changes.

Thanks.
Oh who would have thought, this model (13.inch) is top of the line!

Thanks Kyle.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:31 AM

Hey!, My Avid Carbon just arrived!
(I'm from Chile)

I had written two previous post with my first impression but it did not come out.

I tested all my mixes and recorded a couple of keyboards and I can only tell you that it works fine on my 2012 MBP (16 ram, 2.9 GHz, Core 7, 2 Tb).

I have not accelerated the Ferrari yet, but at least we are fine with the basics, this car starts and moves perfect. Let's see if I can achieve better speeds with this CPU.

Another of my concerns was that it might work fine with Ableton Live (11), which I checked, except that I can't set the outputs correctly. There seem to be some incompatibilities. For example, the physical output "3" on Avid Carbon is actually the virtual output "5" on Live. (??)

Regarding the issues related to the increase on fan performance, it is true that the MBP increases the CPU work only by connecting the interface, and something happen with coreaudiod (I have constantly monitored it). I'll keep telling you if something comes up.

Last edited by mellotronik; 03-08-2021 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:03 AM

I approved the two pending posts (sorry everyone for redundancy) so you get your post count up a little. This forum software will let your posts through easier once you have enough posts, so until that happens avoid links and !!! and things like that, it detects those as spam for newbie users. Sorry about that.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I approved the two pending posts (sorry everyone for redundancy) so you get your post count up a little. This forum software will let your posts through easier once you have enough posts, so until that happens avoid links and !!! and things like that, it detects those as spam for newbie users. Sorry about that.
Don't worry about that. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2021, 07:44 AM
Avid

Quote:
Hey!, My Avid Carbon just arrived!
(I'm from Chile)

I had written two previous post with my first impression but it did not come out.

I tested all my mixes and recorded a couple of keyboards and I can only tell you that it works fine on my 2012 MBP (16 ram, 2.9 GHz, Core 7, 2 Tb).

I have not accelerated the Ferrari yet, but at least we are fine with the basics, this car starts and moves perfect. Let's see if I can achieve better speeds with this CPU.

Another of my concerns was that it might work fine with Ableton Live (11), which I checked, except that I can't set the outputs correctly. There seem to be some incompatibilities. For example, the physical output "3" on Avid Carbon is actually the virtual output "5" on Live. (??)

Regarding the issues related to the increase on fan performance, it is true that the MBP increases the CPU work only by connecting the interface, and something happen with coreaudiod (I have constantly monitored it). I'll keep telling you if something comes up.
Thanks for the update. And, glad to hear your first experience is good!

Regarding mapping in Ableton Live (and other DAWs), there will be an offset from what you see in Pro Tools because the first outputs on Carbon are MON L-R. And, this Pro Tools channel naming doesn't translate to other DAWs via Core Audio. For example, Ableton Live sees it like this:

MON L = Output 1
MON R = Output 2
LINE OUT 1 = Output 3
LINE OUT 2 = Output 4
LINE OUT 3 = Output 5
LINE OUT 4 = Output 6
LINE OUT 5 = Output 7
LINE OUT 6 = Output 8
LINE OUT 7 = Output 9
LINE OUT 8 = Output 10
ADAT OUT 1 = Output 11
Etc

That make sense? To keep things aligned with Pro Tools, you'll want to rename those paths in Ableton Live to match. For more information on these channel mappings, see pg 44 in the guide here.
Berkeley, CA