Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Default Protools wont load

I used Protools M-powerd 8 on my desktop with little or no issues for a while till recently when i click on the application it trys to process it,but just doesn't. I get no error messeges or anything, almost like I didnt click on anything at all.
I read through google searches for solutions and I believe I exausted almost every solution I could think of. Re installing protools, Deleating IE8, Updating all my computers drivers (graphics cards...everything), disabling antivirus. Reinstalling again.. Using the folder application instead of desktop application. So i think im missing some update on my computer that protools doesnt like because on my laptop it seems to atleast open an run. I would just like to run it on my desktop again since it is much faster and less cords all over the place.

My system is self built with windows 7 Ultamite and an I7 processor using dual GTX460's and two solid state intel HDD's for applications and one 1TB WD black for storage. Like i said before it used to work. My mind is just blank on what happend the day it stopped.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Protools wont load

Download CCleaner and check your registry for errors. Then check disk fragmentation. If it's too fragmented it could cause problems.

I don't know. It looks like you've got a newer machine and it should run. Do a "Sandra" report (see above) so that people will look at your question seriously. If you don't do anything to your rig, just save the report to Notepad and do a copy and paste each time. I have one I did a year ago bookmarked and I just post a link to it.

Ah Ha!!! I just found a possibility. You probably should grab a 7200 RPM SATA HD or two for your machine. I asked this question about 18 months ago about getting a SSD for my DAW machine and got a reply back that PT doesn't like SSDs that much, especially for writing. I know the disks are a lot faster, but while they're great for your OS, they're not so great for audio apps.

A couple 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA drives will run about $230. Leave your OS on the SSD. Install PT on one of the 7200 RPM drives and write your audio data to the other one.

If anyone else out there knows anything about this, you can chime in now.

Mainboard: DFI Inc. INF P35-R
BIOS : Phx Tech, LTD 6.00 PG 03/11/2008
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
MP APIC : Y
Tot Mem : 3.25GB DIMM DDR2 (WinXP)

Chipset: Intel P35/G33/G31 Proc
Front Side Bus Spd : 4x 266MHz
Mem Bus Spd : 2x 399MHz

(C:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
(D:) : (250GB, SATA, 8MB Cache)
Old 04-04-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Protools wont load

Thanks for the input. I think i figured out my issue. I believe it was an error with my registry and it all seems to be working fine now.